Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000, 2.5rs
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been dealing with a stability issue at high speeds for about a year now. My 2000 RS rocks side to side on the highway, mostly when I turn slightly to the left (interstate turns or on/off ramps). It seems to be in the rear end, kind of a fish-tailing feeling.

I've combed through other forums and a lot say its tire pressure, alignment or struts while a few mention random loose suspension parts or bolts.

Keeping an even tire pressure all around helps, but doesn't solve the problem completely. I've jacked up my car to shake and rattle every rear end part I can, but nothing seems loose or amiss.

I'm thinking about getting new struts, partly to see if they solve this problem, but also because I tow a small fishing boat with my Subie and I'm looking to get some beefier support back there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on struts that will hold up to the added stress of a trailer or the weight that comes with lots of fully loaded (bike racks and heavy vacation gear) traveling? Now, any suggestions that won't break a young married man's bank?

Can struts that are on their way out cause this? I feel like my back end sags a significant amount when I'm packing the car up for vacations and whatnot.

On a side note: I noticed a high-pitched, ear-ringing-like noise coming from the front at high speed, about 70 mph and at 60 mph, but not at all in between. At idle my ac compressor pulley is pretty loud when it's not engaged, so I think that could be it. Can I grease this or will that ruin it? I'm just hoping its not a front bearing or anything like that.

Thanks

·
Registered
2000, 2.5rs
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured out what was causing my problem.

The right rear "knuckle" holding all of my suspension parts was loose on the lateral link bolt. My guess is that after the control arm bushings seized to the bolt, the rubber on each bushing crusted, shrunk and allowed play between the bolt and the knuckle. That play basically gave my rear wheel a degree, if that, of intermittent rear steering that caused a good amount of wobble when I turned a slight left or went over a bump.

With the new bolt there was still some play inside the knuckle before everything was tightened up. Anyone know if that is normal? Yet, with two new bushings, a lot of anti-seize and everything torqued right my RS is as solid as a rock. I'm assuming the bushings and the pressure of the bolt keep the knuckle solid to the lateral link.

If anyone wants to know about bushing struggles and lateral links, chalk me up as another victim to the pain and suffering of a seized lateral link.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.