Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Impreza RS Black
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 06 RS I am eventually goin to drop an STI engine in it but I want to do things to get ready for it. I would like to know what kind of suspension to put on it. I don't want it slammed to many pot holes here, but I want it to handle very well. I also want to put a Brembo brakes system on it what all do I need to do to put that system on my RS. I need and appreciate all the help I can get thank you.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Brembos will bolt on the front no problem. The rear you need either adapter brackets or have the 06/07 WRX backing plates pressed on. After that, the rear Brembos will bolt on. You will need to get the proper rear rotor to fit your smaller e-brake setup. 316x20mm rotor with 170mm drum setup. The STI parking brake is 190mm.

From there, you'll need wheels that clear Brembos and would also suggest finding a new spare tire, since your old one isn't going to work anymore.

As for suspension, what are your plans for the car exactly? You say you want to drop an STI engine in it, but we don't know how you'll be driving the car. Normal DD? Track days? Also how much of a harsh ride can you handle? How much are you willing to spend? You're looking at $800 starting and can easily climb to $5k and beyond.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dd

It's a daily driver but I also do some spirit driving and I want to start taking it to the track when I get some tuning done to it I want to spend around 1,500-2,000 I am more worried about handling then the ride but it would be nice to have some comfort

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
It's a daily driver but I also do some spirit driving and I want to start taking it to the track when I get some tuning done to it I want to spend around 1,500-2,000 I am more worried about handling then the ride but it would be nice to have some comfort

Let's call it this instead. Unless you would like to get flame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dd

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Let's call it this instead. Unless you would like to get flame.
Ha. I was going to do it :D

I shall refrain.

Ok, for real though OP, you need to kind of get things in order in your head and on paper.

Given that you want to do a full STI swap, Brembos (as much as I don't agree they're necessary for the street.. track, yes), full suspension, etc... why not just get an STI at that point?

Most people swap the older GC/GF body styles because they can't be purchased with turbo engines here in the states. This makes them rare here; a work of art.

Swapping an STI engine into a 2006 seems like a lot of work, issues, sourcing parts, bolts, etc.. when you can buy one, then mod it to your needs. Believe me, I love swaps, but a swap into a 2006 seems pointless.

Best of luck to whichever you choose. Just heavily research and prepare to have another car ready for your daily driving duties for weeks/months (depending on skill level and work time).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your opinion I will look into it I want a sleeper car also I don't want it to look like I have what I do but if I can save money getting an STI I might jut do that thanks again

·
Reformed Ricer
99 Impreza L
4,574 Posts
Brembos do almost nothing for stopping distance, by the way. The only thing they are "good" at is lasting longer (heat dissipation) and going harder (swept area) than WRX brakes. Edmunds lists STI stopping distance at 110ft and WRX at 115ft.

Keep that in mind before you spend over a thousand dollars on a daily driver's brake setup. Get yourself some good pads like Hawk HP-S or Porterfield R4S pads and pocket the rest of the cash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will thank you I don't really want an STI engine but I was told you can't do a lot to an RS engine and not to waste time and money on it just drop an STI engine in it is that true? I would like to build the engine I have if it's worth my time what does everyone recommend doing to the engine first I want to put a turbo in it but don't know what all I need before I do that

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
You can easily spend $5k on an RS engine and not even make stock WRX power. That's if you decide to stay N/A. Now you can throw on a turbo kit, but you won't be getting STI power out of that either. I'd say with stock internals, safely 210 hp or so. About the power level of the first WRX's that reached the states.

To get that 300+ hp at STI level, you could have just bought an STI engine or even a WRX engine for less than you'd spend trying to get an RS engine to that power level. WRX engine is known to get to 300 hp easily...reliability, I have no idea.

·
Registered
'98 L Coupe
116 Posts
if you want a sleeper, id buy a 06 Sti and swap all the RS stuff onto it. you get the best of both worlds, sleeper status, and reliability. why would you want to be under the car wrenching when you can be out enjoying the beat down you issue to unsuspecting opponents?

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Your first sentences sounds backwards. Shouldn't it be,"Buy 06 STI and swap those parts into your RS"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your opinion I see what I need to do now I am just going to pay off my RS then buy the STI thanks again you all are amazing

·
Registered
'98 L Coupe
116 Posts
Your first sentences sounds backwards. Shouldn't it be,"Buy 06 STI and swap those parts into your RS"
i dont see the point of doing that unless the 06 is going into a GC chassis RS. But if both chassis are GD, it would make more sense to swap RS body panels.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Cheaper insurance to put the 06 STI parts into the RS chassis. Also less costly, if you can do the work yourself.

If you can do the welding and painting work to swap body panels, you can go that route too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts