Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 **** Piece
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems there are always at least 2-3 people on the site that like to use this as their signature: Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers. It drives me nuts every time I read that phrase....it just doesn't make any damn sense. If you find either scary, you shouldn't be driving. I can understand oversteer scaring passengers I guess...but how the hell does understeer scare a driver? Let off the brakes and hit the gas..problem solved.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Because 9 out of 10 drivers don't have a clue. They use the methodology of "panic situation? Stand on the brakes!!"

My wife was never a confident driver. She got a job that required her to drive in snow. I told her, "if you remember anything, remember this...if you slide DONT TOUCH THE BRAKES, coast and steer." She said that saved her one day. She started sliding, heard me yelling in her head and regained control.

The phrase here would be "rain scares drivers and other drivers scare passengers."

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
09 Forester
656 Posts
i have to say since im no professional braker, so i like knowing ABS is there if i need it. however lately ive been trying to avoid using it to learn to control the car better. theres been a few times this year i was understeering a bit and didnt touch the brake and used the gas lightly to keep control. (yes im proud of myself :D lol) however, i wouldnt agree with "slam on the gas" theres this thing we learned about my first day of HPDE called throttle understeer. we learned how to use it to our advantage in HP driving. throttle understeer sucks just as bad as braking understeer...however, if youre throttle understeering you deff dont wanna hit the throttle harder. (based on that most cars are factory tuned to understeer not oversteer) so basically i agree with your statement partially. haha as for oversteer, depends on how well you know how to control it/how good the person next to you can control it will tell whether you will be scared shitless. haha

Edit: HP=High Performance not horsepower lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.