Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why is it that no one seems to have explored the use of a Paxton or Vortech supercharger (snail cased units). One would think these would be the easiest to fit and work with. Just curious is all. Even though we stated we would not be putting a turbo on our project car (www.gc8impreza.com), we are considering a supercharger system with minimal boost to limit the engine management needed to make the modification.

Paxton:

Vortech:

Again just curious why these units have not been considered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually I contacted Vortech to look into a superchager with their powercooler but since they do not make any for Subaru's it would be a custom job and just not worth it with some superchargers already being r&d'd by others such DNT Performance.

·
Registered
my00 RS
327 Posts
I haven't research snail cased units, so this is based on my opinion rather then facts. And it is more of general questions.

I would say with the snail shape it would be dificult to fit it properly in engine bay. I would assume you would need to place it on the pass side of the engine bay? Where it would pull in hot air, I am not sure of you would attach a filter to the port where the air is sucked in? I also assume it needs an oil line? Piping would also be an issue as the outlet can only be up/down/left/right and not out as in facing the engines firewall. this would introduce some bending in the piping. I think the snail type s/c would work best in side mounted engine bay. anything is possible. but I just don't see it being an effiecent s.c for the RS engine layout and design. an eaton or even the other box shaped s/c would more likely fit better.

Just thought I share to see if anyone else could add more to the discussion.

MadMax

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually my thought was possibly driver side (remove AC unit). Making the piping for the intake would not be a problem I have access to stainless with manderal bends. I am also not a fan of tapping the engine oil for a SC or Turbo, I believe in having a seperate resevior for the system is the best option.

But thanks for the thoughts, I like hearing other ideas and concerns.

·
Registered
my00 RS
327 Posts
I thought of removing the a/c. but how big are the units? I would think it would hit the hood. And seperate oil system is a good thing. It would be cool if you could develop a system with a pump design. That way you can leave the pump on pushing oil throw the unit with out leaving the car on.? Dont know if its possible but I would think it would be better then a turbo timer device?

Madmax

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, I was just throwing the question out there about the Snail design units. I will pop the hood later and do some measuring. The more I think about it though, you might be right about fitment. There is tons of room on the pasenger side since I removed the cruise system and stock intake plumbing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I believe someone has already tried one of their units but it was just a tad to big to fit properly. I can't remember who it was but I remember reading about it over on the I-Club.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Dante,

The Supercharger that I am using is a "snail" type centrifugal supercharger. The unit we are using is made by Rotrex in Denmark and is much smaller than the Vortech or Paxton types. We originally were going to go with a Powerdyne unit, which is about the same size as the Paxton and Vortech, but found that the size limitations in the engine bay were a little too constraining. The best part about it is that because of that I found out about Rotrex, which is a superior unit to any of the others. It has higher adiabatic efficiency, is much smaller, and weighs about half of what the others do. I can email you some info on them if you would like, and I should be done with basic mounting of the first kit in about a week and a half.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes please do, and also some images as well. I am looking into a Sytec power boost valve for fuel delivery. I am trying to find the best most economical way to go as to avoid using an aftermarket ECU. I am pretty sure with the proper products and install the stock ECU should learn to handle up to 4 or 5psi of boost. Since this is not only our project car, but my personal daily driver (will get abused), I want to ensure whatever we decide to do it will last. I would hate to have any sort of meltdown.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i saw an interesting setup on a honda that included a shaft about 20 inches long between the case and the pulley. this detail could allow for more configuration possibilities. also the above mentioned blowers produce more than ten lbs of boost, which is all you can get out of an eaton blower. which is my problem.

·
Registered
my00 RS
327 Posts
5252 said:
i saw an interesting setup on a honda that included a shaft about 20 inches long between the case and the pulley. this detail could allow for more configuration possibilities. also the above mentioned blowers produce more than ten lbs of boost, which is all you can get out of an eaton blower. which is my problem.
This prob wont work but would be pretty cool. You shoud side mount a smaller eaton on the pass side of the engine and have dual s/c. You could prob get upto 16-20 psi. But I do not think it will work well , as your adding another device the engine has to turn and also added weight and heat to the air.

As far as eaton, I was under the impression if you over rev them, pass 14000rpm or what ever the limit you could get more psi, but the added stress will shorten the life of the s/c? is this true? If so are you looking for a way to over rev it then?

MadMax

·
Registered
613 Posts
ten lbs is not too over revved. besides it can be rebuilt. the trick is to listen for new or different noises from it and send it in before it goes blammo. and my blower is a spring chicken. very low miles. well under 60 thou. they are estimated to last 90,000 miles before any new sounds. now if i could get it up to twelve lbs it would be overrevving. as far as adding another blower, the intercooler pipes lead up to the original blower position. this is why i think i can engineer a shaft fed snail cased .......... (lost in thought)....

·
Registered
my00 RS
327 Posts
Talking about noise, mine started making some. It sounds like a bad bearing. I hear it on and off. Talking to a s/c repair guy in Cali he says it sounds like a bad nose bearing. I have to send it in to get the new nose kit installed. Any experience with these noises? and have u had your s/c repaired yet? If so by who?

MadMax

·
Registered
613 Posts
nope. not yet. send yours in. new bearings mean new sealed lube! have them do both ends and both screws! let us know of your progress. you have now been reduced to experimental mouse.:)

·
Registered
my00 RS
327 Posts
haha unfort im a dam lazy mouse. so that s.c prob wont go in until end of winter and begining of spring:sunny:

thats when i take the car out to play :boxer: with all the ricers out there.

5252 send me a smaller pulley please :D

MadMax:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts