Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
41 - 60 of 1137 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Umm templar................

hello templar, I have lots of questions.

1. what all is included in the kit?

2. what kind of mods do you recommend for preparation of putting on the SC kit? *(ie. clutch, exhaust & electronics)

3. The power is going to be linear right? hp raises as rpm's do?
am i correct?

4. and will there require a bulge in the hood to fit this SC kit?

thanks and keep us updated:biggest:

-Aaron:sunny:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hello WRC,

Everything that will be necessary for the hookup, and running of the supercharger will be included. We plan on making sure that every nut and bolt you need will be in there.

I would recommend a clutch and probably an exhaust, although that may not be completely necessary. Most likely a change to a colder (2 steps) spark plug would be a very good thing. You will get much better performance with a lightened flywheel too, but again it is not at all necessary. Any fuel or ignition coltrol that we find to be necessary for use will be included as well.

Yes, the power and boost will increase as the revs do. The kit should produce around 6 psi at 6000 rpms, and around 3.5 psi at 4000 rpms.

No, bulge, no internal mods, no nothing like that. When we started this project almost a year ago now, the first thing we said was that we wanted it to be 100% bolt on. We still believe that it can be. And you should even be able to get to your spark plugs pretty easily too.

If you have any more questions, feel free to email
[email protected]

·
Registered
392 Posts
on the same note as a previous post to mine about pulley's. Would there be any affect to the system if we were running stock sized pulleys just lightened? That might be a good addition for the kit if pulley's will need to be changed.. ;) :confused:

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS
11 Posts
What size piping for an exhaust? Does it matter? 2.5" do the trick? What kind of 1/4 mile times do you project for this? Will an aftermarket header an intake work with it? Thanks, I want to start preping for it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
rbehny,
You read my mind on the pulley subject.

White 01,
Any exhaust size 2.25 inch and up to 3 inch should work fine. Even stock will work, but it will just be a little restrictive on the engine. You can put an aftermarket header, or even do a complete header back exhaust. It won't matter becuase the supercharger is not affected by the exhaust system. An aftermarket intake won't work because the Supercharger sits in the intake track, but once you see what we have in mind for the intake, you probably won't want to replace it.
:D

I wish I could answer your question about quarter mile times, but having never raced the quarter myself, I really have no idea. I would think that the times would be similiar to that of a turbo kit running a reliable 5 psi though.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS
11 Posts
Ok, thanks for the reply. I was going to buy the Cobb Intake but I think that I will hold off. I have the Apexi N1 catback but I might sell that and go with a header back. That should make it less restrictive. Then if by some reason there is a problem with the supercharger I can buy the intake later. How much is a lightened flywheel? What brands are best? Thanks for the help! So exhaust, lightened flywheel, clutch and sparkplugs are about all I need to run this effective? Thanks, just getting an idea on what I should buy! Thanks again

Eric

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
It will whine, but it shouldn't be much louder than a spooled up turbocharger.

About the flywheel, there are a few options. If you want max power to the ground and best revving, get the Fidanze flywheel from www.titanmotorsports.com. It is not on there website, but cal and ask for Bottle. he can hook you up and it costs $350 shipped and weighs 9.3 pounds. You will suffer some minor engine vibrations under engine braking, and start off in first gear is a little tough to get used to.

If you don't want to lose the comfort level, but still want to go lightened, I would recommend the Jun forged Chromolly flywheel. It is right at 12 lbs, which should take care of the vibration and take off problems, while still giving excellent response and revability. It sells for $425 shipped. You can order it from http://www.moderngarage.com . I think that both places have them in stock at the moment.

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
939 Posts
Templar said:
It will whine, but it shouldn't be much louder than a spooled up turbocharger.
Turbos make noise when they're spooled up? I've ridden in a WRX and didn't hear anything. It was unbelievably quiet. Much quieter than an RS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Templar,
Stupid question, I assume that this kit will work with an automatic? Will it put stress on the motor? Cause oil leaks and the like?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I can see no reasons why it won't work on an auto. It may even work a little better, but I will have to wait and see. I do plan on trying to find a reasonably local auto that wants one, and we will do the install. Then we can test it out before and make certain that everything is kosher.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Most automatics are nearly identical in performace response to turbo/superchargers. However, there are certain clearance issues around the tranny itself, should something (like a turbocharger) need to be mounted down there.

Having the Torque Converter replacd with a high-performance unit, and have a valve body rebuild done (by, say, LevelTen) can substantially increase performace - like 1-2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile.

Finally, the 4EAT is not a wimp like the 5-speed. You should not have any problems with stripped gears or other tranny demons, at least not until you hit REALLY high horsepower levels. :D

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
James,

Thanks for the help on the Auto questions. Nothing will need to be mounted down near the tranny so there should be no problems.

·
DemodderedOGmoss
05 LGT, 06 WRX wag, ZX6R
4,654 Posts
If only the S/C didn't need dino oil to run properly :( I already went from dino to synthetic, I think going back would cause some problems.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
There is a myth that changing back to a mineral oil from synthetic causes problems. This is not true. The oils can even be mixed together if you want. The following came directly off of Mobil 1's website
In fact, Mobil 1 is compatible with conventional oil should it be necessary to mix the two.
If you are concerned about engine protection and oil performance, there are several companies offering double refined oils that have been test proven to perform with any synthetic. I had these same concerns when I heard about the natural oil requirements of the Superchargers we are using. But after I did some research my concerns have been eased. I was running on Mobil 1 myself, and have switched with no problems at all.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Okay I know that some of you have been wanting to see this, so here are a few little teasers for you.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 1137 Posts