Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering to if anyone could help me find out what year 2.5 rs I should buy to turbocharge. I also would like to know how horsepower does a 22-B make stock and is that engine a good swap ? Thanks for helping me out !

:biggest: Will

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
98-Map Sensor, but mostly had DOHC engine,
99-MAF sensor, just don't go there.
00-Map, SOHC, added a rear LSD, and sedan, if you want to go for it
01-Added leather and Carbon Fiber as options. Bad Subaru! Bad!

I'd say 00 or newer.

Now, I'm about to hit send, and I can just imagine the replies. Some jackass is going to chime in about the 98 having a superior head design, something or 'nother. The bottom end of that year was a pile of shit. Also, if you turbo a 2.5, and don't want to get into stupid boost, and horsepower figures, you can get away with some piggybacks. That MAF in the 99 simply won't take that. So 99 is out too.

And some ding dong is just witing to type in, "Get an aftermarket engine management system and crank the boost to 8 billion." Yeah, sure. Unfortunatly, we all live in reality, and that moves into the discussion on breaking transmissions much over 250 HP.

OK, so back to what I was saying. Get a MY00 or newer, give it 5-8 pounds, and just drive it til you waste the stock clutch. There. You've got all the answer you'll need.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I won't chime in on the superior DOHC design of the 98's. I will correct you in that the 98s have a MAF, not a MAP. And it doesn't break like the 99MAF. The bottom end on the 98 is fine. The stock headgaskets are known to go, but there is an updated version that is supposed to cure it.

00 and on have 10:1 compression....a contributing factor in why such low boost is commonly deemed safe. 98-99 have 9.7:1CR, a bit better.

If you want to swap in a 22B motor (should you find a real one) What does it matter the year you get now? The research has been done, it's out there to look up....

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Hmm... I'd probably go with the 98, because it has a superior head design.

Orrrrrrr, that was a gay joke, and you should definitely go with the '00 or '01!

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
There's plenty of 99 turbos out there. The MAF problem isn't as big of a problem as it sounds. Just don't screw around with piggybacks and get standalone. You'll be happier that way, really, regardless of what year of car you drive... whether you stay below 7psi or not. Much above that, your tranny will break no matter what year you drive, at least try and keep your engine happy.

00-01 also have a rear LSD, so keep that in mind as well.

98s also have a weak looking interior :(

oh and uh.. best of luck on finding that 22b motor

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Each year has its pluses and minuses. MY00+ will give you more aftermarket bolt-on options, and it has the LSD, but the slightly higher CR is a hinderance when going F/I, there are also some 00+ quirks like a front 5v A/F sensor -vs- O2 sensor (98,99), known A/F & O2 sensor issues, the MAP sensor must be clamped when boosting (not a big deal, just a quirk), 00+ do not respond well to piggybacks (ECU learns around settings). MY98 has DOHC but the infamous headgasket problem, no LSD, and a pretty tough MAF sensor, the interior is blech, and the front bumper looks just like an L. MY99's MAF issues are grossly overstated. I've been running a short ram intake and only blown 1 MAF (the intake I was running at the time was essentially just a cone on the stock piping, very bad). As long as the intake is not banging around in the engine bay i.e. properly supported with a bracket(s) the MAF should be fine. Also, the MAF is much more adept to taking boost as it is more acurate in calculating the incoming air than an absolute pressure sensor (notice all WRXs from 93-current have all used MAFs!). Alot of the quirks have been fixed with warantee work but some will remain. Just buy an Impreza, it really doesn't matter which trim level, MY, engine as everything is interchangable (read Subaru parts are like Legos).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts