Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to blow some money on parts soon and I'd like to know if this is the best way to blow my money on my car. I plan on ordering:

Cobb Cams
MRT Headerback
Kumho Ecstas
KYB AGX struts
Cobb Springs
N1 Pulleys

Does this sound like a good purchase?

This will add to the little bit I have done now like a Ganz CAI w/ K&N, Kartboy Shifter, PROECM chip, the stromung midpipe and straightpipe thats being replaced, a Sparco Harness, and not to mention my Clear sidemarkers and RS25.com stickers :)

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Only thing I'd add immediately would be a lightweight flywheel and then you'd be about done :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sounds good but the tires. Get the Falcon Azenus or what ever they're called. I hear those Kumho tires arn't that great. Maybe Yoko AVS tires, I know two people with those and they rave about 'em. Let us know how it goes.:cool:

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I will. Another question, are the MRT springs soft or firm? I want a go-kart like ride quality to my car. I also added a Walbro fuel pump to my list, and removed the N1 pulleys in favor of GFB pulleys. I should have all of this stuff in about a month and I'll have a long weekend that week installing everything.

·
Registered
2000 RS, silver, blah, blah, b
200 Posts
joe I don't know what you are looking for as far as sound goes on the exhaust, nut I just got my MRT setup and the ONLY thing I'm not too pleased about is the muffler. It just isn't exactly the type of sound (like the scooby sport) that I was looking for. I'm currently looking for another muffler to see if this is truely the problem, I'm 99.9% sure it is though. Tall J has made another good point. I LOVE the Falkan azenies, and they are maybe a few bucks more per tire than the Ecstas (last time I looked) Kumho does make some sweet Auto-X tires though, you DO have snow tires... right? Sounds like a sweet setup:drool:, I'd like to hear about the performance after the shit gets put in. Have fun.

L8r,
Brett

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How were they a tremendous waste of money?

·
Registered
24 Posts
They are a tremendous waste of money because they are the worst tires I've ever owned. Not bad in the wet, but unless you live in Seattle it doesn't really matter. They are loud, have incredibly soft sidewalls, squeel like the devil around mediocre twisties, and are just poor performing tires in general.

If you buy these tires and plan on doing any type of aggressive driving, please reconsider. You'll be happy you didn't part with the money...promise.

GKO

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Two words, tire pressure. Seriously though, for overall performance the 712's are good tires for the price, the Azenis have much better grip but they don't last as long nor do they perform as well in the wet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Boy,

What do you mean about tire pressure?

If he plans to do spirited driving, he would probably be MUCH happier with the Falken Azenis. If he plans on doing a lot of wet driving, go with the 712s.

G

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on doing all types of driving and commuting and I bought some Kuhmo 712's today at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
G Love said:
Enjoy....just do it cautiously around the turns.
I have to side with Mr. Special Sauce on this one. The Falcons get much better reviews form people I respect as good drivers and knowledgeable folks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Parada Spec IIs are the way to go for tires. I have had mine for about 6 months now and the wet traction is insane. Nevermind the dry tarmac and handling on curves/corners. Highly recommend if you pushing your car on backroads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts