Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 White RS
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body shop guys here have a suggestion on how to fix a broken bolt I have on the spoiler ?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Those are pretty touchy, mine is cracked in that area too but the bolts are still in. I did some drilling and sanding to reinforce the corners with bondo. I hope my bolts don't pull out. I noticed on my friend's newer sti there was a metal braid that ran from one outer bolt to the opposite side, likely to keep it from flying off if it cracks. Lol, ours could just fly off if something happens to the bolts!

It may sound crappy, but maybe you could drill additional holes in the lid and in the spoiler, and use the expansion type nuts to go into the spoiler. Maybe even the rubber type to prevent cracking the spoiler. I'm not sure how well they would resist corrosion though, if you ever wanted to remove the spoiler.

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
If you still have the stud/bolt, put it back in place. Make some side cuts around the area to allow more support. Get some super glue and baking soda. Spread the super glue mildly around the area making sure you get the bolt really well. Throw on the baking soda. Repeat as needed.

The baking soda will make the super glue dry as rock.

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
If you still have the stud/bolt, put it back in place. Make some side cuts around the area to allow more support. Get some super glue and baking soda. Spread the super glue mildly around the area making sure you get the bolt really well. Throw on the baking soda. Repeat as needed.

The baking soda will make the super glue dry as rock.
+1, though id prob just use some 2 part epoxy though

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
yea I would just JB weld the bolt back in place and let it cure before reinstalling. Shouldn't be an issue since that looks like the rear part of the wing. Super glue is good for a quick fix or for filling those hairline cracks coming off the bolt hole, but is very brittle and doesnt like to flex at all. I would prefer something with more flex in it like 2 part epoxy or JB weld.

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
Its not just super glue, the baking soda dries it immediately and becomes harder then fiberglass, etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts