Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 subaru impreza
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Subaru Impreza wgaon with all disc brakes. Brakes are mid wear still plenty of pad left, clean clear fluid filled to correct level, rotors in front are spotless and the rear have a little grooving.

Recently during a snow storm I had the ABS kick in and then shut off and the abs light came on. GOt to my destination checked things out couldn't find any issues. Started the car up ABS light is off ABS is working again. This morning on the way to work my brake pedal was very hard with little to no travel and feels like ABS is kicking in on every stop and the pads are slipping, stopping ability and distance is definitely affected. Just went for my lunch and feels like ABS is kicking in on every stop car now pulls a touch to passengers side. Checked all wheel everything was coolto the touch no signs of seized calipers or anything.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
I played around in a uncleared parking lot and pissed the ABS system off a while back. I drove home with the light on and the ABS not working (I noticed I could brake a bit harder, and then the tail end would start skidding). Problem went away after all the snow and dirt got washed out from driving. I can't help but wonder if you might have got dirt or something on one of your ABS sensors.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
I would guess a sensor is dislocated or dirty, pull your sensors and take a look to make sure the wires are not frayed and the sensors are securely bolted in place.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Except in some states that won't pass inspection. And it doesn't fix the problem if OP wants the ABS.
then put the fuse back in, or remove the bulb when inspection comes along? It isn't part of the OBD-II system if thats your worry.

Either way, it could possibly be snow getting stuck into the ABS tone rings. Unsure if this would cause the issue, but if it's not one of your sensors, thats one of the last few things that could be wrong.

You can also try this:

How to Read ABS Trouble Codes - NASIOC

image: NASIOC

Long blinks are 10's and short blinks are 1's.

ABS DTC list

11 – Start Code, DTC is shown after start code, Only start code is shown in normal condition

Abnormal ABS sensor, open circuit or voltage too high
21 – front right ABS sensor
23 – front left ABS sensor
25 – rear right ABS sensor
27 – rear left ABS sensor

Abnormal ABS sensor, abnormal ABS sensor signal
22 – front right ABS sensor
24 – front left ABS sensor
26 – rear right ABS sensor
28 – rear left ABS sensor
29 – any one of four

Abnormal solenoid valve circuits in ABS control module and hydraulic unit
31 – Front right inlet valve
32 – Front right outlet valve
33 – Front left inlet valve
34 – Front left outlet valve
35 – Rear right inlet valve
36 – Rear right outlet valve
37 – Rear left inlet valve
38 – Rear left outlet valve

41 – Abnormal ABS control module
42 – Source voltage is abnormal
44 – A combination of AT control abnormal
51 – Abnormal valve relay
52 – Abnormal motor and/or motor relay
54 – Abnormal stop light switch
56 – Abnormal G sensor output voltage

·
Registered
1995 subaru impreza
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I inspected it. It looked ok but i unplugged it and the issue went right away so my guess is a faulty sensor. Cars got some miles so its only a matter of time before things fail

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.