Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2000, Rs, White 4dr
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2.5rs with 87xxx miles on it. Does anyone know when to changed the timing belt? At 80k or 90k? A dealer said 90k but i think he just wanted the car sold....help aspa

·
Boxer rumble FTW!
2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
621 Posts
yep, check the manual. i'm guessing it'll say 90,000 or 100,000. def get it done before 100K i have heard of and seen (ford dealership i worked at) cars with broken timing belts come in but the fords were non-interference so they were ok. i think our EJ motors are interference so possible engine damage could occur w/ a broken timing belt (pistons smacking the valves).

·
Registered
05 rs 04 wrx 05 sti all black
1,929 Posts
The 2.5 liter is an interference engine, the 2.2 on the other hand is not. The belt should be replaced at 90k.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
gongeuzler said:
105k is recommended by subaru.
They must have changed that for the GD's, my owners maintence manual says 90k.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
I belive the GC RS manual might say 90k as well. But when I worked at subaru their paper work said 105k, and I waited till 105k. It was also in subarus "Drive" magazine.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
gongeuzler said:
I belive the GC RS manual might say 90k as well. But when I worked at subaru their paper work said 105k, and I waited till 105k. It was also in subarus "Drive" magazine.
That makes sence. You know they want you in the service station as much as they can get away with.

·
Registered
173 Posts
105k is what the maintenence brochure at my dealership says.

Also considering getting the water pump changed too, cheap if you do it at the same time.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Most manufacturers specify over 100k, which is great, but most belt breaks happen between 60k and 90k.

That's not to say your belt WILL break in that range. It's just the center of the bell curve.

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
Evilclown said:
Most manufacturers specify over 100k, which is great, but most belt breaks happen between 60k and 90k.

That's not to say your belt WILL break in that range. It's just the center of the bell curve.
i think they are designed for 100k MINIMUM with a healthy safety factor. if a belt snaps before 100k, its a design error on the part of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
When companies first started using them, they didn't have a service interval. "It has kevlar in it, so it'll last the life of the car, right?"

In a sense, they were right. The end of the belt's life was usually the end of the car's life. But I digress. My point is that it's usually good practice to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. But they don't always get everything right. The parts to do the timing belt job are reasonably priced and don't cost any more if you do it at 60-80k instead of 100k. It costs a lot more to repair the damage done if your belt snaps at 90k because you were waiting until 105k like the dealer said.

·
shush girlllllll
98 coupe /w 99 GF8 swap
1,662 Posts
I waited until 105k, but like evilclown said, why not get it out of the way?

·
Registered
1999 Camo OBS 1993 FWD Impreza Racecar
3,189 Posts
Evilclown said:

I've seen one broken belt since i've been working at a dealer, and that was a car that had ~150k and never had the belt replaced and the tensioner had also failed (WRX). 105k is fine. They DO NOT brake at 60-90k unless someone busted the timing cover and got debris in there.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I'm talking about cars in general. Most of the breaks I've seen on any make/model happen in that range. That's not to say they'll all fail by 80k.

Like I said, there's no harm in changing it before the manufacturer-recommended interval.

·
OG GC
MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
4,471 Posts
I'm getting mine replaced within the next week, along with the tensioner and the water pump. Went to the dealer to get the timing belt...$129.00... :eek: Mine's sitting at 108k. Although, the front and rear v-belts have been changed, I know I'm past the 105k for the timing belt. :(

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
$129 for just the belt? Jesus. At least you didn't get the STi belt.

The idea of a $300 "performance" timing belt still makes me chuckle. I wonder if anyone's ever actually bought one.

·
Registered
1999 Camo OBS 1993 FWD Impreza Racecar
3,189 Posts
I got a slightly used STI one for free a long time ago... Gave it to a friend who installed it. Worked good. I'd buy one if I had a DOHC, but then again I get a deal on OEM stuffs :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts