Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· 13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
6,004 Posts
The symmetrical part of the Subaru AWD system isn't what made the difference, it's the differentials and how they are controlled that sets it apart. All the symmetrical AWD is is the driveshafts coming out of the front and rear diffs are the same length on each side, helping control torque steering, but that doesn't make much difference for it's climbing or traction capabilities.

· 13 Years of RS
6,004 Posts
well regardless of who what when and where the AWD is doing, in this video
it puts it to the test against other cars in multiple catagories along with
suspensin and handling . PWND!!1! Again

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0
Agreed with that! Love it that the 2 Subarus were the only ones able to climb the treads.

· Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
4,307 Posts
makes me feel kind of cheated. My mom bought a CRV a while ago and man that's bad.
I feel worse for the Volvo guys. Good thing she god rid of it

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting video.Long story short, I dropped the front end (both tires)of my 99RS into a very large hole. With only the rear tires touching I thought I might have a chance. Nope it was sending all power to the front tires, the rears didnt even turn. I have a 99 RS so no LSD, but I dont think that should matter as this sounds like a center diff issue.
anyone else have the same story? i bet someone got into a situation like this, we're subaru people

· 4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
4,680 Posts
anyone else have the same story? i bet someone got into a situation like this, we're subaru people

I can confirm this. the center differentials in the RS's are open. this means that they send power to the the wheels that are spinning, just like an open front/rear diff sends power to the wheel the is spinning i.e. one tire fire.

If you have an auto WRX or newer legacy, they have a more advanced clutch pack in the tranny that doesn't allow open diff action. 100 bucks says they were using auto legacies/foresters in that comparo

Personal experience backs this up. Since I'm rolling on stock suspension, my swap lifts the front enough to make the front wheels spin under hard acceleration. If there was any system at work to put power to the wheels with grip, I would see more power go to the rear, and that doesn't happen.

· 4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
4,680 Posts
Not all RSs are open. The MY00 has a viscous coupling limited slip center diff. Don't know if it's limited slip friction is enough to prevent the fronts from spinning out of control though.
apparently not, unless mine needs a rebuild hehe.

actually after thinking about it, that must be it. In the case of the guy who dropped his wheels in a ditch, if the frame is hanging there, it's gonna be really hard to push or pull the car. a viscous coupling is never gonna give you 100% front/back.

· Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,348 Posts
I thought that the manual transmission 2.5RS/WRXs have a 50/50 power?? or am I wrong?? I know that the auto transmission ones send power to the wheels with best traction but more towards the front wheels, or am I wrong again??

· Meany Head
2000 RSC
13,908 Posts
With regards to the usual mechanical diff in the 00RS, the concept of 50/50 power split has become a little misunderstood. It's not that 50% goes to one end, and the other 50% goes to the other. What is really meant by 50/50 is that the wheels get an equal share of the power. But when things go a little bad like the fronts in a ditch, then the rules are different.

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With regards to the usual mechanical diff in the 00RS, the concept of 50/50 power split has become a little misunderstood. It's not that 50% goes to one end, and the other 50% goes to the other. What is really meant by 50/50 is that the wheels get an equal share of the power. But when things go a little bad like the fronts in a ditch, then the rules are different.
well thats pretty stupid, they should keep it 50 50, i mean i think there would be enough power to pull the front end out of a ditch if rear was powering 50%. WE NEED A GURU I AM GETTING CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!:confused:

· Meany Head
2000 RSC
13,908 Posts
It's not a case of "keep it" or not.. It's simply the basic principal of a standard 1:1 mechanical planetary gear style differential. It's just how they work. And adding limited slip helps reduce this type off diffs main downfall of what happens one one side looses traction. That is where the more advanced, differentials come into play, like a torsion diff, or the fancy electronically controls ones in the more modern subies.

· 13 Years of RS
6,004 Posts
well thats pretty stupid, they should keep it 50 50, i mean i think there would be enough power to pull the front end out of a ditch if rear was powering 50%. WE NEED A GURU I AM GETTING CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!:confused:
See, the thing is, if you lock it at 50/50, that causes other problems. For a street car, you need either an open or limited-slip center diff, especially on dry surface driving. Besides, if the center diff is locked, then power can't be transfered front to rear. But in extreme situations, like having the front wheels completely off the ground, things just don't work quite right.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.