Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wanting to build a drift car for some time, I want to learn how to drift on pavement. I've been doing it in snow for 6 years now, in all my previous subarus, and I know how to powerslide and do donuts, obviously, but I've never actually gone out and tried to hold a drift. I've always been too scared of crashing or bumping into something, because the only rwd car I have is my 1974 Gran Torino,and that's a nightmare sideways. Well I just fixed that by buying a 2000 Subaru Outback.
I know, I know, it's awd. In the spring once this snow goes away, I'm welding the center diff, taking out the axles, and welding the rear diff. Gonna be a blast.
The day I got it

Went out snow drifting with a whole crew of drift kids Saturday night, my first time going out with anybody but myself. Was such a blast! Got my first battle scar when my buddy tapped my rear bumper. I got a bit too sideways and started to slide off the road, my friend was sideways in his chevy truck and hit me. Just some cracked paint. I also curbed a wheel while sideways, but not bad, just has a very slight flat spot, vibrates at 55 I tried some tandem drifting and it was a blast. We also got the cops called. The cop was super cool about it though. He told us to find a better parking lot where nobody would call the cops and have fun and be safe. He even said he wishes the new cars were rwd cuz they were more fun in the snow. I blew a 180 in front of him because my rear window was covered in snow and I didn't see him come up behind me, he didn't even have his lights on and didn't ask for my license. Coolest cop I have ever encountered.

I've done a few mods to the car since I got it, I fully gutted the interior, the only pieces of the stock interior left is the front seats and the steering wheel. No dash, no passenger airing, driver airbag is getting removed soon. I went as far as scraping up 60% of the tar sound deadening. I plan on peeling up the rest. It peels right up in the cold. There's two heavy steel plates under the sound deadening designed for vibration dampening, they weigh like 4 or 5 pounds each. I took them out as well. I stuck a pin though my e-brake button and lengthened the lever, as a temporary drift brake. I also replaced
the muffler with straight pipe, and installed a cheap cone filter entirely for noise, since there's no power gain.

Upcoming mods will be lighter steering wheel, no quick release because idc to have it, and a hydro ebrake. Gonna be so much nicer to be able to just lock the wheels. Also want a non-power seat or a racing seat. I wonder if I can convert the outback front doors to manual windows? I also want to lexan everything behind the driver's windows, and weld the rear door skins to the body and cut out the frame inside the doors.

Can't wait until springtime and rwd.
After Gutting It

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's not the conventional drift car, but I thought it would be a neat way to do it. Plus, my dad has all sorts of subaru parts cars at the shop, so if/when I crash it I've almost always got body panels for it.

·
Registered
1991 Nissan 240SX turbo slider
943 Posts
I hope you have some sore of new motor to put in for drifting. That heavy outback wont drift dry pavement with a stock 2.5. You will need either a turbo set up or a miracle to get that wagon to slide on pavement. Any vehicle can drift snow, but dry pavement is a whole different story. You may be able to slide it on wet pavement maybe. But it wont be nice smooth controllable slides.

A hydro e brake is nice, but it wont really help much unless you lower your wagon and have more power. You can lock up the back tires all you want, but to have the power to spin them back up and drift through a turn you will need at least 220HP probably more.

Not trying to shoot you down, Just giving you some constructive criticism. Power to weight ratio is everything. A heavy outback wagon needs power to be able to drift.

Check out this suby wagoin drift build thread. He has the right idea.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t80959-project-slidewags-ej22-diy-turbo-rwd-prepping-99-obs.html

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was afraid I wouldn't have the power to drift it, but this rwd legacy with a stock ej22 gets the ass end out, and he's making 135 at best.
rwd subaru drift - YouTube
The ej25 has 30hp over that anyway so with a full gut job of everything I can possibly strip out of it, I feel as though I'll have enough power.
I planned on swapping to 2.2 heads for this season, but if I'm making this the last year it needs a state inspection (ie. track car next year), I may 302 swap it after april, I have quick access to cheap ford parts through my dad and friends and the torque of a v8 is just so nice.

Also, in regards to lowering it, that was the plan from square one, i'm pretty sure that's part of every drift car build. I also want to get a stiffer rear sway.

·
Registered
1991 Nissan 240SX turbo slider
943 Posts
I have seen that video and he can drift.....barely. He is doing a skandinavian flick into each turn which makes the rear end swing out. But he doesn't really have the power to hold the drift. But because this is your first drift build its better to have just enough power and learn to make the car slide then having a butt load of power and just spinning out all the time.

A stiffer rear sway bar is a must and 17in wheels with low profile tires will help it slide easier too. Keep it up man and good luck

·
Registered
02 Outback
55 Posts
Subscribed! I've wanted to do a drift wagon since I saw that video when I was looking at a first gen Outback. Ended up getting a BH like yourself.

Boxer rumble + wagon + drifties. How can you go wrong?

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to lexan all of the windows behind the driver, I can only imagine how much weight that would drop.

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
agreed, if you go as far as to weld the diff's, you will be in need of some power. Maybe an eg33 swap, then some day throw some boost at it, and you would have a killer. That wagon is huge though as is.

Would be cool to see it succeed though. Goodluck

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
I understand wanting to be different/cool and it might even work as the natural tendency of a RWD converted Suby is to oversteer like a pig, but IMO it's still a waste of a perfectly good outback ... you could have picked up a beat up Miata or BMW for a 1000 bucks and drifted it right out of the box without going through all that work.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Why not keep the dash skin? It's only a couple pounds and looks much cleaner?

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Subbing to this.

By the way, ask LifelessVet. He's running a 2.2L RWD drift setup in his impreza, and he goes through axles/diffs about every month. The R160 is WAY too small to be doing 2wd duty. Even the old Z cars used R180's, and 240sx's came with R200's (and later Z cars came with R230's for real power-handling).

So, that'd be my first step. Swap in an R200 (which requires quite a bit of fab work, but if you're caging it for drift duty anyway it's not anything too crazy).

Good luck, I can't wait to see where this leggy is going! :)

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's like a million outbacks out there, I don't think the world is going to miss an awd outback. I chose an outback because my dad is always buying and selling them(and other scoobs) therefore always has parts to fix them. And I enjoy the lack of dash, it gives the car the "wtf" factor when people go for a ride. And if I'm taking everything else out, why stop at the dash? It still weighs over 10 lbs and everything adds up.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And in response to the BMW or miata thing, my dad had this at the shop already and I needed a winter beater, so its doing two jobs for me. Winter beater now, drift car in the spring.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In regards to the rear diff/axle issue, yes I plan on swapping in something stronger. I think my plan is a 300zx rear end (I believe its what it is out of) that my friend (also a drift kid) has sitting in his barn. I'm gonna need to come up with something, especially if I start making more power(v8 swap). We have plenty of fab tools such as plasma cutter and welder, and anything I don't have, my friends do. It's so funny how all I wanted was snow, now all I want is spring...

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Installed my new wheel.

Hydro ebrake

Quick and dirty exhaust I made in a couple hours. Deleted 1 cat, then its pure straight pipe for like 4ft and dumps in front of the passenger rear wheel. Quite loud. Quite loud indeed. Deafening, one might say lol.
Got pulled over today not for the exhaust, but for doing 56 in a 40. They heard it at wot though, so they know its super illegal and the second officer was shining his flashlight at the exhaust. No airbags, no dash (which means no vin plate visible with the hood closed, completely gutted, louder than all hell, and speeding. Was super friendly and gave me a warning.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went out on the frozen lake the last 2 days in a row, first day went fine, had a blast. Second day I was running some pretty high rpm and beating it like a red-headed step child, once I pulled off the ice I noticed I now have a rod knock! Time to start saving for a rotted out fox body that I can pull the drivetrain out of :D

·
Registered
2000 Outback Driftwagon
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lot of progress has been made! Plus a huge step back lol. Over one weekend, I welded my center diff, pulled my front axle shafts and left the cv joints in, welded my rear diff, installed coilovers, built a boso straight pipe, made a front lip, deleted my fogs, put skinny 15's on the rear and 225/45/17's on the front. uploadfromtaptalk1393445308065.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1393445347404.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1393445438985.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1393445473758.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1393445501535.jpg

Then it spit out the cylinder#4 rod bearing mid-burnout and I managed to limp it home. We towed it to the shop this past weekend and killed the motor with a roaring burnout, broke a rod haha. Pulled the motor Sunday night, took me about 2 hours altogether. The new shortblock (and possibly driver side head) will be going in this weekend, along with a mild shave and tuck.
uploadfromtaptalk1393445789171.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1393445812819.jpg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts