Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Impreza Wagon (OBS)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Today I want to go over the optional Impreza 2.5 RS & Forester "Compass Gauge Pack". The purpose of this post is to show modern resolution reference photos , installation tips + videos, and my personal experience installing this into a 2001 Impreza Outback Sport.

Let's first start with what this unit is.
Cartoon Art Technology Musical instrument Animated cartoon

This unit was an optional accessory for the Impreza 2.5RS & Forester (North America markets [confirmation needed]). This is a single din unit that can be installed alongside your radio (Subaru's official documentation recommends installing this above your radio to prevent interference), or in the Subaru OEM Gauge Housing which is the more common location back when these were installed at dealerships.

What do these units cost in 2021/2022?
I paid 60 dollars US + shipping for my unit which included the following: Compass Gauge Pack and wiring harness minus the thermocouple and housing.
On eBay these currently run between 150-300 depending on how complete they are. It is common to find these without the wiring harness which is a problem I am not equipped to help anyone with.

The good: Over the past 20 years people have put lots of information about these here on rs25.com and even made 2 YouTube videos that walk people through how to install these units (I will link both below).
The bad: Most of the information was captured 20 years ago and the images are no longer being hosted. Have no fear though, my next section will attempt to remedy some of this.

Reference Pictures
Radio Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle audio Vehicle

Finished product. Please note this is installed incorrectly. Subaru recommends installing the compass gauge pack above the radio. However I installed it this way as I am waiting for my single din pocket + gauge housing to arrive at my local dealership so I can mount my compass above my AC vents.

Home appliance Output device Gadget Wood Gas

Font Gas Machine Electronic device Audio equipment
Wood Circuit component Electronic component Audio equipment Electronics accessory
Wood Circuit component Electronic component Gas Electronic engineering

Output device Office equipment Wood Gadget Flooring

Rectangle Font Gas Plastic Gadget

Material property Gas Circle Machine Composite material

Continued in post 2...

Attachments

·
Registered
Impreza Wagon (OBS)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Continuing to post reference photos...
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Electronic component Electronic engineering

Worth pointing out on this picture of the internals. If you suspect that your compass isn't staying true or if you want to check ahead of installation: the tightly wound copper wire attached to the lid making a "+" shape is the internal compass. If this is damaged it will not be able to understand which direction your car is facing.

Wood Electrical wiring Electrical supply Wire Cable

Full wire harness for compass pack.

Wood Thumb Wood stain Nail Electrical wiring

Connectors for radio/car.

Gadget Wood Medical equipment Nail Wrist

Example of OEM bulb.

Wood Gesture Finger Wedding ceremony supply Wrist

Thermocouple wire.

Data transfer cable Gadget Wood Audio equipment Electronic component

Compass connector.

This thread isn't supposed to be a "how-to", and instead a reference. Below I will post two videos that helped me get my compass installed.

Video Walkthroughs + compass in action:

I would consider this the best video available online to walk someone through the installation process.

This video is also helpful and a great video to compare to the first one. Less information is shown but it is still useful.

This is a quick video that I personally show to give a clear representation of what the compass looks like when the car is moving. This video uses OEM bulbs in the unit.

Subaru's included Compass Gauge Pack manual:
https://dielukedie-subaru.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F638060701430218752
Feel free to post any questions or requests below and I will do my best to respond!

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,801 Posts
Wowzers! Thanks for the epic post!

Reactions: Murgledoo

·
Registered
Impreza Wagon (OBS)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also want to include a few part numbers which could be helpful:

Compass Gauge Pack = H5010FA001 (NO LONGER IN STOCK)

OEM Subaru Gauge Pack Housing = H0017FC910OE (IN STOCK, GREY COLOR ONLY)

OEM Subaru Thermocouple = H5010FC021 (IN STOCK AT SOME DEALERSHIPS, DEPENDS ON THEIR DISTRIBUTATOR).

OEM Subaru Thermocouple Mounting Kit = H5010FC031 (IN STOCK AT SOME DEALERSHIPS, DEPENDS ON THEIR DISTRIBUTATOR).

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
260 Posts
Awesome write-up! I fell in love with the Compass Pack because it is the most ridiculous thing of all time. My favorite story about the thing is that I talked about it so much to my wife (poor her) before getting one that she paused a movie that she was watching to call me in to show that the Forester the people were driving had one in it. Relationship goals.

Since I have one, the bigger question is: where did you get the head unit? That might be the most oem-looking head unit I have ever seen. I found it on the Amazon and ECS Tuning, so I ask only if you have a place to which you are loyal that you get that type of stuff from.

·
Registered
Impreza Wagon (OBS)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome write-up! I fell in love with the Compass Pack because it is the most ridiculous thing of all time. My favorite story about the thing is that I talked about it so much to my wife (poor her) before getting one that she paused a movie that she was watching to call me in to show that the Forester the people were driving had one in it. Relationship goals.

Since I have one, the bigger question is: where did you get the head unit? That might be the most oem-looking head unit I have ever seen. I found it on the Amazon and ECS Tuning, so I ask only if you have a place to which you are loyal that you get that type of stuff from.
I got the head unit off of Amazon myself. I also purchased this wiring harness from Amazon as well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091YXJJ48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_NHVZNroFZrO2l
Worth mentioning to you if you do decide to go this route. The ”always on” 12v wire & the accessory 12v wires need to be swapped. It’s an easy fix to do since all that you will need to adjust is switching two wires with one another when you go to attach the after market wire harness to your cars your wiring harness. I can also try and better explain this to you if you need it down the road :)

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
480 Posts
Can you list the make and model of the head unit? It's sort of what I'm looking for - simple, stream-lined, almost OEM, as md001 stated, and it looks like it has everything i personally need - USB plug and an 1/8 in jack! - Perfect.

·
Registered
Impreza Wagon (OBS)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you list the make and model of the head unit? It's sort of what I'm looking for - simple, stream-lined, almost OEM, as md001 stated, and it looks like it has everything i personally need - USB plug and an 1/8 in jack! - Perfect.
Sure thing! I’m happy to help.
This is the TR7412UB-OR from Continental. I believe that there is also a model from them that includes a CD player, however I don’t have that model number handy.
Here is an Amazon link for the head unit.
VDO Continental TR7412UB-OR European Style 12v Radio Orange Display Bluetooth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D2R48HZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_72Yyey3LQr3pw

I’ve had this installed for about a month now, it’s barebones, effortlessly connects to my phone after the initial pairing, and it looks period correct for our cars. It’s a decent sounding head unit as well with your typical treble and bass adjustment capabilities.

Worth mentioning that the plastic buttons don’t feel great, but not delicate, just typical hard plastic.
Our dash dimming feature doesn’t work with the head unit unfortunately. And the color can’t be changed. However, the amber illumination still looks great even if it’s meant to be in BMW’s and Porsches.
Automotive design Steering part Car Radio Satellite radio

Here’s another picture of it installed in my car.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
1,193 Posts
This may be the most indepth look at the comp pack ever. Thank you for posting something well thought out on this forum. Most posts are; im unable to search, spoon feed me, crap.
Hats off, many thanks.

·
Registered
'01 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Silver
3 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the info on the compass pack, also the Continental radio, pretty sure I need both units.

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
101 Posts
Toyota's (Tacomas, 4Runners, Hiluxs) also came with Compass Packs as an option, they were called the Field Monitor Unit and it is basically the same unit with very minor differences. I think it is a pretty common swap in that community to put a Subaru unit in as they are easier to find.

There's also a great write-up on Scooby Mods with high quality scans for installing the compass pack.

I've looked into those head units before -- I really like them, I just wish they came with a green backlight instead of the orange/blue Euro-spec (makes sense, being VDO is a German company). Nakamichi also made great OEM-looking head units (CD-400, CD-500), but they're pretty hard to find these days and pricey when they do come up.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS Coupe
114 Posts
Does anyone know the part number of the vent-holder-piece that they were selling later on so you didn’t have to cut your vent housing from the dash cubby? Holy run-on sentence Batman.

·
Registered
Impreza Wagon (OBS)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know the part number of the vent-holder-piece that they were selling later on so you didn’t have to cut your vent housing from the dash cubby? Holy run-on sentence Batman.
That is included with the Gauge Pack Shroud that is still for sale through dealerships
Here is a picture of everything that comes in the box for the GAUGE PACK HOUSING GRAY - H0017FC910OE
Rectangle Gas Composite material Road surface Concrete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts