Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2007 impreza 2.5i
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and my buddy (fiver5six) just got the idea of taking a 2.2L subaru engine with a 4EAT auto trans and putting it on his dads boat. We will make a custom exhaust with with cherrybombs. We have the trans engine ECU we just need a radiator and a way to install it so it gets air because we dont want to go the whole water cooled route like a regular boat has. so all we have to do is run throttle and shifter cables and fab up some new motor mounts and I think we got it basically covered. It will be painted BRP and the subaru team USA decals on it. Pics will be posted if this goes through and we will have step by step pics.
Let me know what you think! Thanks guys!

· Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
4,994 Posts
A guy bought my spare EJ22E off me to put in his boat to replace his old EA18 that he had in it

If you're planning on hitting any salt water, you're going to have problems with the water pump bearings.

· Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,000 Posts
I've been thinking about how to do this as well....just day dreaming of course and I'd want to incorporate a manual tranny somehow but that's beyond me.

Anyways I love the idea and I'm glad you're close because if this goes through I'll have to check in on it.

How are you going to propel the boat? Stern Drive or Inboard?

· Registered
2007 impreza 2.5i
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we know some wlders who can help fab up a prop for it. so its kinda gonna be like a mini driveshaft with a prop. idk. we also might fab up a keel to steer the boat. Me and my buddy gotta meet prob this weekend and start rough sketching up some ideas. We will put pics of the boat and stuff up also this weekend. thanks guys for being enthusiastic about this project! (not sarcastic)

· Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,000 Posts
we know some wlders who can help fab up a prop for it. so its kinda gonna be like a mini driveshaft with a prop. idk. we also might fab up a keel to steer the boat. Me and my buddy gotta meet prob this weekend and start rough sketching up some ideas. We will put pics of the boat and stuff up also this weekend. thanks guys for being enthusiastic about this project! (not sarcastic)
Ok so you're going the inboard route. Take a look at Ski Nautique (correct Craft) and Master Craft broshures and even the boats in person so you can fab up the prop shaft running through the hull and how to control the keel. Water will get into the boat running this set-up especially, so you'll need to make sure you can control a bilge pump.

· Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,000 Posts
The onyl thing with the prop is that they are designed differently than an I/O or outboard so you'd have to buy one brand new which I'm sure is a few hundred dollars. I don't think an inboard prop is something that can be welded together with pitch angle and all of that prop geometry.

· James incognito
Black 06 STi & 07 Wagon
381 Posts
Can you make it a Jet Boat? Those are cool.

I dunno about the transmission though --- there would likely not be enough drag so it would just blow through the gears. I'd just do a direct drive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.