Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza WRX STI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitshbishi will be ahead on the game by a lot with the EVO.

I have been patiently waiting and thinking on what should I do. Should I buy a turbo kit for my 1999 impreza 2.5 RS? Should I buy an Impreza WRX? On the other hand, should I keep waiting and see what EVO has when it is available?:confused:

Well I been reading a lot on this forum and It seems that to have the 2.5 RS that I want will cost me more on the long run than if I buy a performance ready car like the WRX or the EVO.

So now, it is all expectations about the EVO. I remember when Subaru of America was launching the WRX there was a lot of hype about it but at the end we did not got the product we were expecting. I hope that when Subaru sees that finally they are not alone they will clean up their act and start to be more serious and bring the STI to American shores.

The only way I think I will keep my 2.5 RS is that the price tags on the performance parts for it come down or If I find a STI clip for less that 5,000 or if the price for a turbo kit with pistons and rods to run 15.0 psi is around that same figure probably I would consider keeping the car if not I think countdown to extinction has just began. Some people say that patience pays, well lets see if that’s true because I'm getting tired of waiting when other people on their cars tease me and I cant do much about it because I don’t have the muscle yet!:mad:

lets get ready to rumble!!

Subaru :boxer:Mitsubishi

see the EVO lauch site http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/evo/index.jsp

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
Well, the new facelifted 2004 WRX and STi have been introduced at the Paris Motor show. Its expected to go on sale in Japan very soon if not already. All I can say is that Subaru is launching the STi in the USA mid 2003. Test drives and sales training had been set up this past August for the Subaru sales managers and dealer principals, but the plans were scrapped when Mitsubishi decided they would not reveal the exact horsepower of the EVO. In response, Subaru would not even speculate on the performance numbers for the STi in an effort to keep the upper hand. The WRX has been out for almost two years now and Mitsubishi never offered anything to rival it. The Lancer OZ Edition is a joke, but now they plan to release a $30k+ rival that will overpower the Suby? FHI/SOA responds with the STi which by launch time should be properly tuned to meet or exceed the EVOs performance. The current WRX will still stand alone in the $25k turbo AWD category because Mitsu prefers to have their customers pay the huge premium for the EVO rather than offer them a good, tuned, turbo performance value. Instead, those that can't afford the top of the line DSM monster will have to make do with the weak Lancer OZ. It's all politics, but it makes for good rivalries.

By the way, some STi part numbers are starting to flow through Subaru. Some are not valid yet as far as pricing and availability, but they are definitely going to start stocking them in preparation for the STi model.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza WRX STI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you say is very interesting but lets keep things in perspective here. It is true that the EVO is no cheap but it is also true that it comes with a lot of goodies that the WRX does not has. I don’t know if you have read the article that was on SCC called Evo vs. WRX-->link Evo vs. WRX
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII vs. Project Subaru WRX It gives you a good idea on which car is ahead of the game , I think that when Subaru decides to bring the STI it will also be expensive :curse:but it will be interesting seen this battle go on and unfold as time goes by. Don’t you think?:D

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
I'm hoping we get lots of STi's (hopefully not too limited). Looking forward to a STi engine and STi 6sp swap someday. :biggest:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts