Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 168,xxx miles

so yesterday I drained my coolant, pulled my radiator fans and radiator to find a leak which was coming from one of the transmission oil cooler nipples on the bottom of the radiator. The threading bolt was loose, easy fix. I put it all back together, added new coolant, took it around the neighborhood to make sure the leak was gone. There was a new leak from the lower radiator hose. (Precious owner replaced water pump, radiator, and timing belt). Top and lower hoses were originals so I went ahead and replaced both. So yes I drained the coolant again, pulled the fans, radiator, put the new hoses on. I was in a rush because I had done this on the outside of my garage and it was starting to get dark. Well I left the radiator cap off and started the car and coolant blasted everywhere. I turned the car off immediately. Now the car will crank, but not start. Now I’m having to trouble shoot this. I know enough to get by and wanted to learn more with this Impreza because it will be my 12 year old sons in a few years.

not looking to hear any smart assness lol just some genuine help. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
found the issue. oil flooding the spark plug wells. no problem cranking before the coolant maintenance. must have been my “good luck” that this happened before I could even burp the radiator. So I’ve began taking down and gonna pull the engine for a full rebuild and maybe do a 2.0 turbo swap.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
369 Posts
I think the oil is not related to the work you did the day before. Unless that is ATF. I think it's a coincidence, and that you have 1 or more leaky valve cover spark plug tube gaskety things (technical term).

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, '00 911 Cab, '18 CT6 TT, '04 Escalade ESV
5,518 Posts
Yeah if youjust have to replace the gaskets then that can be done easily in the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah if youjust have to replace the gaskets then that can be done easily in the car.
so just replace valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires in the bay?

i had planned to do a complete rebuild. All gaskets, etc. I’d rather go about it your way and rebuild a donor.

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, '00 911 Cab, '18 CT6 TT, '04 Escalade ESV
5,518 Posts
The spark plug gaskets are pretty notorious for leaking, I've had at least two EJs that did it after 130k+ miles. I think you have to do the valve cover gaskets too like you said, and replacing the wires is easy enough. All you really have to do is remove the intake, battery, and washer fluid reservoir and you should be able to access everything. Be careful with the washer reservoir bolts, I would soak the shit out of them with WD-40 (especially the back of the bolts). They break off super easily, from 93-01 the bolts were directly into the strut tower and in 2002 they realized the error of their ways and changed over to that little mounting thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a fel-pro gasket set from O’rileys and installed it, used a sprayer to spray the oil out of the spark plug wells as much as I could then used some shop rags to soak up the rest of it, installed new plugs and wires, and the car fired right up. Only thing left to do is burp the radiator in the morning. I still do plan to rebuild a donor for replacement. I’m hoping to swap a wrx. There’s a guy parting one out in NC asking $650 engine, $600 trans. I’m still doing research on all parts needed to successfully do the swap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts