Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 OBS. The trunk rattles like crazy at idle and over bumps. The hood has little knobs that can be screwed in and out to adjust the contact point with the hood but there is nothing like that on the hatch. I am aware that the GC/GFs rattle like crazy but this is a rattle caused by the hatch not latching tightly. Can someone give me some tips on how to adjust the contact point of the hatch and frame of the car or how to adjust the latch to make it a tighter fight.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I have an 01 OBS. The trunk rattles like crazy at idle and over bumps. The hood has little knobs that can be screwed in and out to adjust the contact point with the hood but there is nothing like that on the hatch. I am aware that the GC/GFs rattle like crazy but this is a rattle caused by the hatch not latching tightly. Can someone give me some tips on how to adjust the contact point of the hatch and frame of the car or how to adjust the latch to make it a tighter fight.
Can't you just loosen the striker and slide it forward a little to pull the door tighter? Like on the non-hatches? You know, the deal with the two 10mm bolts or large philips screws..

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
The metal loop deal on the bottom, like when the hatch is open and you're looking down to where it hits when its closed. Probably looks kind of like the metal things in the door jambs. Maybe the bolts are covered with a plastic trim. If you tighten it too much, the door might be in too far and look uneven so just move it a hair and then tighten and test drive

Someone with a wagon should see this soon and be able to explain it better.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
A couple of my datsun 280zx hatches did that, it was SO annoying! I feel your pain, lol

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
There are rubber bump stops on the deck lid that screw out!

Why'd you have to find the simple solution, lol? :p If you loosen them a little it might work. If not, a combination of that and moving the striker a little will tighten it up. Those look like the ones under the hood

·
Registered
99 Outback Sport
480 Posts
If you take the plastic off at the bottom that surrounds the latch, you'll see the 2 bolts that hold the latch in place. Moving the latch down(towards the inside of the car) one notch will fix this problem.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I used some fender washers from a hardware store. Thick ones, under the rubber stops on either side of the hatch. Works great, stopped the rattle and doesn't make a sound now.

-Cybin

·
mix and match..:)
MY99 GF4 Ver6 Re-creation
840 Posts
Interesting thing....I had 'the rattle'...before...and since I got the car painted...its gone :confused:...I am glad it is tho...:)

Bill

·
Registered
2001 OBS, yo!
257 Posts
good idea

So, I just tried that fix. Mine was rattling like a mo-fo. I tried moving the hook up, but it made it worse. I moved it down, toward the floor, and it worked well. I know write-ups have been done in the past using this method, but I thought I'd update it for us newer guys.

I also went to the local hardware store and bought some faucet washers. A single six-pack cost me $1. They are 1/8" deep, and 3/4" in diameter. You can see from the pic below where I put them. Two on each stopper. Works wonders. (The one under the stopper is just in place with the pressure from the bolt that attaches the stopper to the frame. I doubt it will dislodge. So, now no rattle. In fact, when I open the lid right now, it springs up a little, so I'm going to have to move the hook back up a little I think. All in all, easy fix.

What's that strap you see in the background? Well, I got tired of my sub sliding around, so I went a little overboard and now this thing doesn't move for anything:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts