Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission drain plug (21mm by the exhaust merge) on my ’00 OBS (manual) is extremely tight. Even the shop I took it for another service said they were scared of causing damage. The rear was similar and I used my jack to put upward pressure on the plug, but the front plug is at an odd angle for this trick.

Does anyone have tips for safely removing the plug? I have no idea if or when it was loosened.
Alternatively, can we siphon the gear oil from the diff dipstick? Would I be able to extract enough considering the internal structure and oil thickness?

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Other than a really good quality socket that fits snugly (NOT HARBOR FREIGHT) and an impact, not much more you can do about it other than hope; but the shop you took it to should have been able to do that. a Milwaukee 1/2" with the nut buster would do it in a heart beat i betcha. Might also help to tighten it just a smidge, like a 1/16, or a 32nd of a turn, just a creep forward.. it can help unstick a bolt.

I think the oil is going to be too thick to suck it out, unless you leave the sucker in there over night.

· Registered
MY98/MY05 Swapped Unicorn
53 Posts
Hmmm
1st Q would be how long u planning to keep car?
If not long…..don’t worry about it….unless leaking badly

can be done
Not extremely expensive
Seen this b4 bc ‘jiffy lube’ employee puts on drain plug with an impact wrench….ugh

2 methods
A-take bolt out, buy new pan, new bolt, service tranny fluid
B-take out bolt, buy re-thread kit, carefully re-thread old pan, then buy a slightly larger bolt, service tranny fluid (depending on how bad pan threads are jacked, possibly could use OE bolt)

I would option for plan A
Tranny pan can’t be over $150
Used ones are great option too
GL

· Registered
2,158 Posts
A-take bolt out, buy new pan, new bolt, service tranny fluid
B-take out bolt, buy re-thread kit, carefully re-thread old pan, then buy a slightly larger bolt, service tranny fluid (depending on how bad pan threads are jacked, possibly could use OE bolt)
These would be viable options if the manual transmission had a pan. Manual transmission use what would be the diff drain on an automatic, so it's just a bolt in the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts