Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP Coupe
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't find a definitive thread that explains this and I have searched NASIOC, Legacy Central, and here to try and determine this...but

Are all R160 CASES the same?

I have an R160 out of a 94 Legacy Turbo.
It has output shafts (male) ON the differential, the axle mate as female.

Can I swap out the differential internals on the Legacy case to use WRX/JDM STi internals?

Or do I need to just get a RS/WRX differential and swap it out and the axles?

If I had pictures it would make more sense, but I am not near the diff right now and I cant find pics online.

VS

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
You can, in fact, swap out to a later style diff in that same case. They are both "T" type cases (bolt-in bearing caps) and use the same size components inside.

The "VA" type, which has thread-in bearing caps (just like the front diff setup) uses smaller components inside and would not be interchangable with "T" type parts.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can, in fact, swap out to a later style diff in that same case. They are both "T" type cases (bolt-in bearing caps) and use the same size components inside.

The "VA" type, which has thread-in bearing caps (just like the front diff setup) uses smaller components inside and would not be interchangable with "T" type parts.

Thank you for a clear,concise response.

Is the VA-type the one picture on the right labeled "Impreza" The threaded part matches the front diff?

I will refer back to the post where I got the picture, but is the VA type a JDM Impreza diff? I have never seen that type before.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The one on the right definitely looks like a VA to me, never seen one in person though.

You can use a complete diff with stubs along with gen 1 legacy axles if you feel so inclined.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to be able to upgrade the diff to cusco or something, so I would probably need T-type stub axles.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Yes, the one on the right is a VA type. Its my understanding that it was used in the earlier Imprezas with EJ18. I know it came on my 96 Impreza Brighton AWD. Oddly, earlier yet Legacy's had T type rear ends, so it wasn't a matter of age. I did try to mix some parts and it was immediately evident that the T type carrier bearings were not going to fit into a VA diff case. IIRC, I measured the ring gears to be different as well. I scrapped the VA for a proper ratio T type and haven't looked back.
Thank you for a clear,concise response.

Is the VA-type the one picture on the right labeled "Impreza" The threaded part matches the front diff?

I will refer back to the post where I got the picture, but is the VA type a JDM Impreza diff? I have never seen that type before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts