Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have some experience based recommendations on good rotor pad recommendations for STS? Looking at EBC green, although haven't heard many good things. I am looking at hawk street/sport as well. What about rotors? I saw the EBC rotors, look like a good design. Let me know what you all run and how you like it.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
well, i'm GS, but i'm running EBC red pads (greens kill rotors). the reds are great though, esp with R compounds :D the car slows mighty quick.

rotors-Paul Eklund of Primitive Racing sells Brembo slotted replacements that are stock size (STS legal) which are pretty nice (i've driven a car equiped with them).

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
they're fine. i just bedded them in for a few days, and now they're great. in the morning, i wouldn't recommend getting on them too hard, since they do require some heat to get maximum performance out of, but i haven't had any problems, even on the first run of an auto-x. i also have ADE DOT 4 brake fluid and doubt i've even come close to fading them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had very good luck with Carbotech pads on my old STS Civic Si. They were unbelievable, but also squeeled and dusted alot. Their new Panther pad is supposed to be really good and they've also got a Super Street pad (red) that comes highly recommended. I was pretty unimpressed with EBC when they first came to the states. The pad they sold for the 99Si didn't even fit within calipers, and they pretty much told me "oh well." I'll won't buy from another company that isn't pretty heavy into racing. You can check out their website at Carbotech Engineering .

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMHO, race pads are a waste for autocross. I've never had a problem stopping with the stock pads, never had any fade, and am into the ABS quite a bit. The short courses, short braking zones, and relatively low speeds mean that the stock rotors and pads work just great.

Then again, i just paid like $65 for replacement Subaru pads, so if you can get high quality ones for close to that, you might as well. ;]

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
For stock RE92's yes....stock pads are more than enough. Putting grippy tires on and the physics of autocross call for the need of more agressive pads.

I disagree with your description of autocross courses. Maybe your courses are short and do not require heavy braking. That is not what many other regions or divisions are used to.

beast said:
IMHO, race pads are a waste for autocross. I've never had a problem stopping with the stock pads, never had any fade, and am into the ABS quite a bit. The short courses, short braking zones, and relatively low speeds mean that the stock rotors and pads work just great.

Then again, i just paid like $65 for replacement Subaru pads, so if you can get high quality ones for close to that, you might as well. ;]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually, i run Falken Azenis, so they're pretty sticky. ;]

You might be right though, our courses tend to be more focused on technical stuff than long fast straights with heavy breaking at the end. The few that i've done around here that did have that (on a runway) were no problem, probably because there was only one such spot on the entire course.

I'd love to do some events that gave me brake fade. Maybe a track day? =]

Storm said:
For stock RE92's yes....stock pads are more than enough. Putting grippy tires on and the physics of autocross call for the need of more agressive pads.

I disagree with your description of autocross courses. Maybe your courses are short and do not require heavy braking. That is not what many other regions or divisions are used to.

·
Registered
00' RS, 07 c230
85 Posts
I autoX quite a bit in the San Diego Region, and we usually have some what short courses. I use EBC greens and the work much better than stock. Never any fade or much heat from the brakes.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I am running the KFP Magnum blue, and they work awesome. A bit dusty, but no problems after months of use - no rotor warpage, and they BITE. They bite hard enough that I can lock all four wheels with my 225 Falken Azenis for a fraction of a second on dry pavement before the ABS kicks in. Hard braking is INSANE. The first time I really hit the brakes, my head was *literally* spinning. :eek:

Check my homepage for a phone number - 10% discount if you mention the RS Club. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts