Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Silver 05 LGT, Red 98 Trans AM
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was looking under my car yesterday to fix an exhuast sheild rattle and found that my cat pipe is on the verge of breaking off the flange. I am looking into a stromung track pipe or their highflow cat pipe becuase this will make my system stainless from the header back. Now how loud would this set up be? I did a few searches and it comes back as loud or way loud lol. But what is loud inside the car? is like sitting on the exhuast when you drive and do you get that rediculous cabin drone? thanks for the help
Mike

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
I believe if you get a resonator welded into the midpipe it will quiet it down some, as well as help with the rasp from catless, but I, too, am interested in this. Thinking of going catless myself.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It will be louder. It will be a little hotter in the cabin and noisier. The exhaust will smell richer, which kinda sucks if you're driving around town a lot. It won't make it drone, that's mostly the axleback. Track pipes sound nice.

The specifics really depends on your full exhaust setup. Any more cats on your system? Do you have headers?

If you do it, spend an extra $30 and heatwrap your pipe if you can afford it. Wrap is all to the good because it cuts down on the heat inside and outside and it helps keep the exhaust velocity up. Be sure to keep your jimmy wrapped at all times, yo. :)

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
I believe if you get a resonator welded into the midpipe it will quiet it down some, as well as help with the rasp from catless, but I, too, am interested in this. Thinking of going catless myself.
That is also what I have heard... catless is louder, but if it is paired with a resonator it will be... AWESOME!

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
and if u think it is too loud, you can always just sell me your cat delete!

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
yes, catless is a fairly good gain for n/a. You will feel it in your butt dyno.

·
Registered
2001.5 Audi S4 Vast stage 2
919 Posts
You can say bye bye to your low end torque, but top end is pretty ridiculous.

It will also be louder, especially at WOT. Even if you add an 18" resonator, it will still be pretty raspy. But the resonator does help a lot.

PROs:
-Lots of top end gains, mid range is about the same, maybe a little better.
-Decel sounds sick, car will pop a lot.
-Fireballs, lol.
-Smell (I personally love the smell of catless)

CONs:
-Low end power
-Cops (depending on muffler)
-CEL, this can be deleted/avoided
-Raspiness
-Loss off boxer rumble due to loudness/raspiness (VTEC Yo!)
-Emissions

Hope this helps you out, I used to have a crazy setup on my 2.5 when I was N/A
Borla headers, TWE track pipe, WRX midpipe with 18" resonator and HKS Super Dragger axleback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5X7PJfVQ-w

Fast forward to the 50 second mark, only video I could find...

-Matt

·
Registered
Silver 05 LGT, Red 98 Trans AM
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I think I might wind up going with the high flow cat from stromung just to be on the safe side of things.
Mike

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
There is no difference in low end torque with the cat delete... and the upper end runs like a mo-fo!

Yes, you will need to put a resonator in. It will take the raspy sound away. When you are done, no drone and a quite enviable sound from outside. +1 on the Stromung 'Test Pipe' and 'Mid-Pipe'. :bump:

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
There is no difference in low end torque with the cat delete... and the upper end runs like a mo-fo!

Yes, you will need to put a resonator in. It will take the raspy sound away. When you are done, no drone and a quite enviable sound from outside. +1 on the Stromung 'Test Pipe' and 'Mid-Pipe'. :bump:
I didn't think there was a difference in low end torque either... but since I didn't know for sure I decided not to say anything! Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
92 Crown Vic
629 Posts
i have the borla header, stromung hi flow cat (with cel delete, talk to box4racing they helped me out), mid pipe and dual tip muffler. i love it. it is a little loud and wot. but i still have the subaru sound. low end torque still there, i don't hit the high revs much because of smoke at about 4500rpm. but when i do it sweet.
no i don't have any sound clips or video clips sorry.

james

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,165 Posts
i am gettin my catless track pipe from stomung today hopefully haha just wondering if anyone knows if im going to need to get an extension for my o2 sensors?

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
if you are going catless you will want a "mil eliminator" not an o2 extension. the extension is for high flow cats. You can google search and find tons of mil eliminators for sale. I bought one for $10 shipped and it has worked for years with no cel!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts