Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an STi catback on my 07 2.5i, and for some reason it just sounds strange, somewhat like a crappy Honda exhaust. But whats weird about it is it ONLY happens during the first 3-4 minutes of driving. After that, the thing sounds great.

I checked all clearances - nothing rubs, nothing is loose and nothing is shaking. I even doublechecked the same when the car was warmed up and the exhaust was hot. Is this just the way an STi catback sounds on a 2.5i?

·
ITS TURBO TIME!
05 LGT limited
2,778 Posts
well if it only does it when its cold or first starts up then you would have to assume that it is something related to temperature. Some material has contracted when it cools down and then expands once your car is warmed up. Hard to say...could be something internally in the muffler. Im sure people are gonna want a sound clip for reference!

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS MBP
963 Posts
If it has that tingy sound on cold drives then yes both of mines did that... I originally had a JDM Ver 6 STI stock exhaust on my 2000 2.5 RS then I got an USDM 04 STI exhaust basically new for free so I changed it out for that and it still has that sound on startup... after its warm it sounds like it should...

Eric

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to try to get a sound clip. I figured it was something with the expansion of the pipes when hot, but I doublechecked all clearances.

Now that I think about it I used to only run the axle-back, and the noise wasnt there. Once the midpipe went it, the strange sound began. Could it be something with the resonator in the Sti midpipe?

kichigaijap - I think I know what sound your talking about, but I dont think its the same one I'm referring to.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
687 Posts
Jack the car up and grab a stethoscope...Must be a small leak cause when the exhaust heats up everything seals....also when its cold out start it up and look under the car for condensation coming from the pipes (there's your leak) if you have one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts