Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone I am new to the Subaru world. i recently bought a 1995 L and fixed the fuel pump and got it running, but there is a really weird noise coming form the engine like a scraping almost. I've changed the oil and filter and there was no metal in the oil, it drives fine but the noise is really concerning because of how loud it is. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
take the accessory belts off. even an a/c compressor that isn't engaged can make bad noises.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
480 Posts
A video or audio recording of the noise might hekp us help you. Specifics will also help - AT or MT, mileage, onset of noise and when it occurs - under load, during cornering, ROM range dependent, etc...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All belts are off and still makes noise, noise is constant and does not go away It’s an automatic 1.8l with 214k on odometer
the youtube link is the only way i figured out how to post the video but i think it shows off the noise well

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
432 Posts
it definitely sounds like there may be an exhaust leak at the header or aftermarket exhaust on the car. The crank pulley could also make a similar noise if the jey is loose but it would be wobbling around. The accessory belt looks pretty new, do you know when the timing belt has been changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it definitely sounds like there may be an exhaust leak at the header or aftermarket exhaust on the car. The crank pulley could also make a similar noise if the jey is loose but it would be wobbling around. The accessory belt looks pretty new, do you know when the timing belt has been changed?
i thought it may have been exhaust when i listened close. im not sure if the timing belt has ever been changed or not. i have a close up video of the crank pulley to see if it was wobbling but couldnt tell for certain

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
432 Posts
It isnt wobbling, it would be very noticeable. Its easy to take off the timing cover, theyre the 10mm bolts holding the black plastic on. You can take off one of the parts to view the timing belt to check the condition. It shouldnt show any major wear or tears or look chewed at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you tried to also rev the engine to see if the noise changes? Like stakergc said, I would take the timing cover off to expect the timing belt components to make sure everything looks good, belt, idler, tensioner & etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried to also rev the engine to see if the noise changes? Like stakergc said, I would take the timing cover off to expect the timing belt components to make sure everything looks good, belt, idler, tensioner & etc.
I will definitely check on those tomorrow. I have tried to rev the engine but the noise of the motor drowns out the noise so it’s hard to tell wether it’s stopping or not

1 - 10 of 10 Posts