Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently noticed that when I make slow, hard turns (turning into parking stalls, etc) I get a weird feeling from the wheels. It feels as if the wheels are running over something every few seconds. It feels like tension builds, then releases and I get a jolt through the steering column. I can feel it and hear it slightly. I've had fwd cars click when the CV joints are shot, and this is a similar feeling, but its only noticeable when going slow and doesn't seem to happen every time I make a turn like that. There also isn't that same loud click, like you hear when CV shafts are shot. Any ideas before I take it in?

The car is an 00 RS with 146xxx kms.

· Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
9,883 Posts
Does the entire car kinda shake or vibrate? Like a jerky feeling? (kinda like running over small bumps like you said) Then when you straighten out the wheels, it goes away.

If so, this happens to me too. No major problems, I just try to avoid it because that vibrating can't be great for the car. I've tried to find the problem, but no one has been able to help on NASIOC or RS25 so far.

Edit: Here is my thread about it on NASIOC ages ago when I thought it was my rear strut bar. It's not the strut bar at all, but I think it's the same problem you have.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229196

· Registered
GF8
1,043 Posts
I've heard from a subie tech that what you're describing is the viscous coupler going bad in the trans. I don't know exactly what this is or what might happen if you don't fix it, but thats exactly what he described it feels like.

-Kurt

· Registered
2008 AW STi
7,174 Posts
Ive had this problem for a little over two years now. No idea what it is. I havent taken it anywhere to see what it is. It doesnt happen right away. For instance if the car has been sitting or "cooled" down and i take hard slow turns it doesnt happen. Now, once ive driven the car for lets say about 15 miles or so, and try to make those same slow sharp turns, i get that grinding/jerky/shakey feel. When i had my swap done they said the tranny mount wasnt bolted down properly or some shit. That fixed the problem for about 6 months but came back. I think i'll have my tranny fluid changed along with the rear diff. fluid. I pray this isnt something major ($$$) Please let me know if you find any new news as to what this may be. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.