Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i just got my TD04 stock wrx turbo and i was wondering if anybody can help me with the other parts i need....i am aware of the intercooler, fuel pumps, fuel injectors, and uppipe, but im sure im missing a whole lot of other important parts...i really need help putting all this together and i would appreciate your guys help. thnx

PS: how come i see on some posts that the stock wrx fuel injectors wont fit on my car :confused: well, include that in your responses!

:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yea, i forgot to ask...

how much psi would i be getting with this turbo?

how much horsepower gain would i be getting?

how much would installation cost? (hopefully not too much)

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
The horsepower gain would be dependant on the psi you run.

You'd run into weak internals way before you'd even reach the level where the stock WRX turbo is efficent. A smaller turbo or better one would do better with a low boost setup from what I've heard.

"Safe" level of boost is ussually like 6psi for a daily driver, but I think some people have ran like 8-10 with stock internals with race gas and some pretty serious tuning. If you want to run higher boost you're going to need forged internals (pistons, rods, crankshaft)

The installation cost is hard to say it really depends on the shop. In some area's there are clubs that do installs for people sometimes, but its a big project. They might be able to do it for sometime similar in cost but also let you be more hands on than a normal shop.

If you're going for using the stock WRX uppipe and downpipe you're going to need a tubro crossmember either from a WRX or an old turbo Subaru (like a Legacy) OR you can go the route and have some custom fabricated for you. OR try to buy them from someone like subachad or one of the companies that sells Turbo kits for our cars

One thing you totally missed which is a large portion of the cost is engine management. They make a variety of stand alone units and piggyback ones aswell. A popular one amongst RS-T owners seems to be the LINK system, which ones in both a plug and play and hard wire type. I haven't used one myself but I have played with some other ECU's like Turbo XS' Utec (which wouldn't work for an RS... its designed for WRXs)

I myself don't drive a RS-T (yet) but I figured I'd try to give what input I could and what I have learned. Read around on these boards alot, aswell as on the 'Other Boards' that's how I learned... Not saying its not fine to ask questions too but you can find alot of this information in other threads.

Good luck with your turbo project. I hope mine accually takes form once I get some money...

:biggest:

R

·
0 Posts
Add up your parts, both mechanical hardware and the electronics you will need, figure in the time you will spend engineering and installing. There are many threads here that will give you the list of everything you will need.
AVO has a 'no lag' turbo kit that installs in one day. $4180 ( I know this is a shameless plug)
Look around the forums WRX turbo on RS is a PITA.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Kotir- You are wrong about running into internal problems before getting full efficiency out of the turbo. The WRX turbo is still too small for the 2.5L engine. Right around 8 psi is where you one will find that turbo about ready to run out. It flows a pretty low CFM, so you will need more boost to get power out of the turbo, and this is where the efficiency will run out and you will want a bigger turbo.

imprezya- the WRX injectors will work IF you can find a 1999 2.5L intake manifold. If you have an '00 or '01 RS intake manifold, the injectors will not work because of an emissions system that screws up the bore or something.

Graham

1 - 5 of 5 Posts