Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my exhaust setup and so far i have:

Borla Replica headers (installed)
stock cat-pipe
stock cat-back

(I have an STi muffler but I went back to stock because I didnt want RASSSPP)

Anyways...I am buying a Stromung Dual Tip cat-back but I will be still running the stock RS Cat-pipe. How much power will I lose by not running an HFC? Is it worth the extra money to get one or will I be okay without for now? How much of a difference does it REALLY make?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
A bulk of your power gains come from the cat section as that's the number 1 restriction. It'll sound badass though. You're just leaving most of the power on the table.

Install the header and catback, enjoy the sounds, and keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a used HFC. I did that. The HFC is still sitting here waiting for install, but it paid off. Found an RT cat for a price I couldn't say no to.

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
^ same boat as Falcon, found a RT for a really good price, except I had mine installed last week. First impressions from the butt dyno were very impressive. And the sound is amazing. I thought it sounded good when I installed the Borla replica's. Quite a bit more grumbly, especially on engine braking. Only complaint is a studder/hesitation at highway speeds that I havent figured out yet. Overall a very worthy upgrade.

Falcon, check your PM's, I'd like to hear your thoughts on my problem if you dont mind.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow...i thought it felt AMAZING with headers and stock from there back...i cant imagine with the rest done... :)

·
Registered
'05 RS,1970 AMX,1965 Austin-He
187 Posts
I just installed the E-bay headers from A2rinc. I have the Stromung dual tip and I am running the stock cat section. The car is an '05 with a light crank pulley and the Injen CAI. The sound is fantastic, the gas mileage is the same and the car pulls great al the way to redline. There may be a gain from a HFC but IMO it can't be worth the cost and extra attention from noise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
oldcardude said:
I just installed the E-bay headers from A2rinc. I have the Stromung dual tip and I am running the stock cat section. The car is an '05 with a light crank pulley and the Injen CAI. The sound is fantastic, the gas mileage is the same and the car pulls great al the way to redline. There may be a gain from a HFC but IMO it can't be worth the cost and extra attention from noise.
+1 I have same setup also.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
popular setup apparantly? i will have the same thing soon...haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts