Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MY00 Impreza 2.5RS, Aspen Whit
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Its time. I have decided to invest in some cross drilled rotors. I am now on my Third set of Subaru rotors. I have only had the car for two years and have only changed the brakes once. Any idea? I was looking into those ones you see one ebay all the time but I wasn't sure. I don't want to spend the amount you would for a whole big brake system either.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
I remember the vendor, iRotors.com selling some cross-drilled/slotted rotors for the 2.5 RS. Their official site is www.irotors.com. I emailed them this past Thursday and still haven't gotten a reply. I asked them what brand they sold, perfect fit for the stock brakes or what, and stuff. I even promised them I could be a future customer, but they sound like they suck so far. Oh well... I'd prefer to buy brake rotors from a reputable Subaru vendor like http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/Brakes.htm or somebody. :)

·
Registered
99 2.5rs black dimond pearl
406 Posts
How are you determining that your rotors are dead? What kind of pads do you have?

Primitive has (or used to) brembo vented rotors, I think I got mine for 200 $shipped.

Anthony C

·
Registered
MY00 Impreza 2.5RS, Aspen Whit
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Rotors are warping. When I brake I get the steering wheel to shake back and forth. I have the stock brakes as well. I think that since I am a fast driver I need to do some work on getting a better braking system... I am tire of paying like $400 every 6 months

·
Registered
406 Posts
I bet there is a 99% chance rotors are not warping, its called DVT (disk variation thickness) basically, after you do some heavy breaking (like in an auto-x). Your rotors are very hot, and when you come to a complete stop with the brakes on, your pads melt and leave meterial deposites on your rotors. So next time you goto brake your rotors feel warped becasue the pad residue is making you rotor surface bumpy, therefor makeing you steering wheel shake and feel like you rotors are warped. (in extreme cases you can see the outline of the pad on you rotor, I could on mine)

EBC greenstuff pads are notorius for this problem, I threw out my Stock rotors cause I thought they were warped, and then I got the brembo rotors and after the 1st auto-x they felt warped. And I was really pissed till I found out about DVT.

Now Luckly there is a cure. You need to do the break in procedure again.

find a nice open road (late at night with no cars)
do about 7, 60 - 5 mph hard stop, do not lock up the brakes, and do not come to a complete stop.

After you do that 7 times, let the rotors cool, by driving around, using the brakes aslittle as possible, and with out coming to a complete stop. 10-15min.

then repeat this process 2 more times.

And that sould do it,

Now that they are better you must remember to let you rotors cool after sprinted driving, befor you come to a complete stop.

Anthony C

·
Registered
406 Posts
Oh yeah, and its probably just the front rotors, the backs dont get much work.

$400 every 6 months, sounds like someone was taking you for a ride. you could have bought some 4pots by now. You might want to have a chat with them.

And getting some good pads, will reduce or eliminate this problem

Anthony C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts