Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first timer for the forum and first time Subaru owner after my latest purchase of a 2005 Impreza rs-x hatch. Hoping you guys have some ideas for me to help get my little rig powered up!
The car has some pretty good mid to top end torque and handles great but after hours and hours of research I’ve realised how much further I can take it.

So I I’m only really willing to spend around the 5k mark on the engine and handling SOOO let’s hear it! Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
Welcome. It's just an RS - the "x" was tacked on there by a the previous owner. Having 5k to drop on a car for engine and suspension mods is good chunk of change! You should probably think about how far you want to go...5k might get you a used JDM motor and tranny but you'll definitely need to consider harness merge, wiring, and engine manangement and all the fun labor that comes with it. How many miles are on the car? If mileage is high it might be a good idea to replace suspension bushings and upgrade sway bars / end links. Tires and suspension upgrades might be most beneficial - if you're mechanically inclined, swapping suspension parts on a Subaru isn't that difficult. What are your plans for the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean slapped on? I was under the impression there were 200 made (imported to aus) with the x sticker being 100 hatchbacks and 100 sedans? I never intended on buying the car but I got t boned on the road recently.. the sooby was a quick easy purchase, and I’m glad I bought it!
I plan on upgrading the suspension and sway bars etc myself I know I’m looking at around 2 or so grand for handling suspension components. The car has a hks muffler also. Just not sure what worth getting under the hood. Car has 170,000 kms.

Also thanks for jumping in on the thread 6DemonBag haha not sure how to tag you yet.. I’ll get there

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
Sorry - had no idea that you were in Australia - I thought that was a Canadian plate. As far as the "x" designation, again I'll have to concede my ignorance - I'm not familiar with what that represents with your vehicle model

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha that’s cool. Yeah I’m almost certain it’s a jap import. Still any pointers would be appreciated. I’m hoping to get more low to mid end gains power wise

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
As far as power gains to an NA motor, I don't think you're gonna get a ton of power without spending a ton of money. I'm keeping my RS NA for now and am waiting to install a set of Delta 1500 cams w/ a Delicious Tuning reflashed ECU, Stromung exhaust w/ Borla headers and Supertech titanium cam springs and retainers. They should be going in sometime this summer. I think I paid just under $200 for the cam regrind, ~$350 for the ECU reflash, and few hundred for a complete set of heads with all new valves, springs, and retainers (i bought them used form a member who decided to go a different route and wasn't planning on using the heads anymore). I have no idea what power gains I'll see but popular consensus indicates that those components should wake the engine up considerably - we shall see... I purchased these parts sporadically over the past few years so I didn't really feel the brunt of the cost. If the engine shits the bed in the future I may consider a JDM engine swap w/ an IWIRE harness merge of some sort. For now I'm content to keep it relatively simple as far as labor and maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wouldn’t do a thing to that engine especially with your budget. Moneys best spent in replacing the worst bushings on the car so you can put on some 200tw tires. Otherwise your suspension angles wont stay true as they can be. Also an anti lift kit and a set of serious sway bars and endlinks goes a long way. I wouldn’t be off to the races to spend that money, drive the car and enjoy it. More power is overrated in these cars, it’s all about a good feeling car to confidently huck into a corner! Super pretty swaggon wagon you have here! Take care of her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn’t do a thing to that engine especially with your budget. Moneys best spent in replacing the worst bushings on the car so you can put on some 200tw tires. Otherwise your suspension angles wont stay true as they can be. Also an anti lift kit and a set of serious sway bars and endlinks goes a long way. I wouldn’t be off to the races to spend that money, drive the car and enjoy it. More power is overrated in these cars, it’s all about a good feeling car to confidently huck into a corner! Super pretty swaggon wagon you have here! Take care of her!

Hey man, thanks for your input! And sorry for the late response I’ve been super flat out with work these last few weeks.. where should I start in terms of your suggestions?
I know it sounds terrible but I am so new to car terminologies and lingo.. never had any interest in cars until I bought The suub so therefore I’m completely green....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m thinking if I get all the lubrication, bushings etc and then in time go for the complete engine/trans swap. I know it’s all expensive but to find a red blob wrx here in aus is tough! Can’t find any listed atm, atleast not red! Also there going for 14-17 k average and I payed 7 for the rsx, seems if I were to sell my wagon and buy a used, thrashed Rex that’s been through 7 owners I’d be losing out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would spend the money on getting the car professionally inspected, making sure that the vehicle doesn’t have any loose or worn out suspension components, your car is pretty old now and anything rubber is fragile ie all your bushings. After that you can add to the car, sway bars front and rear with good high quality endlinks first then a good spring, coil combo for all four corners then I might swap to the sti lower control arms that are cast aluminum W fresh bushings and ball joints.
That’ll eat into your budget pretty well, if you have money left over you can put a catback on it if your looking for some noise but spending any real money on the powerplant is pointless because it’s so expensive to make power out of a Na motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What wrx/sti suspension parts can I fit to my wagon if you don’t mind me asking? I do have some king springs (sl) to put in but I wouldn’t mind getting better struts or whatever first so I can just put the new spring on some better struts (I think they go on the struts haha)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know there’s loads of info on the forums but it’s quite overwhelming sometimes.. a lot clearer when I know the person answering the question is specific to me. Thanks everyone so far!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts