Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
00-OBS-2.2
581 Posts
mikeyb I have a STi rear sway bar on my 02RS and it doenst look like that. try to move the passengerside bar inside the endlink, and move the drive side endlink outside the brackects and secure it with a longer bolt. i did that with my STi RSB and it seems to be working fine for now
ill try it tmrw. i would rather have a somewhat proper fitment then having a bias to one side with different dynamics

·
Registered
02RS RIP, 91Stealth, 05STi
1,778 Posts
ill try it tmrw. i would rather have someone proper fitment then having a bias to one side with different dynamics
Well here is my take on it. do you still have you stock endlinks that you are trying to get rid of? cuz my idea might get that STi bar to work in a ghetto type fitment :lol: here this is what you do. get your factory endlink, cut the mounting portion off of it, then remove your current endlink on the driver side, go buy a bolt with a length of about 3.5inches and thats not including the base of the bolt. move the endlink outside of the brackets and slide the bolt in as you go into the brackets stick that factory endlink portion you cut out. and bolt it down. I suggest getting 2 washers to fit between the bolt and your endlink and another one from your endlink to the bracket. I did this the other day and it seemed to work and hold.

·
Registered
00-OBS-2.2
581 Posts
so i have an idea based off what you said bondo. i have kartboy endlinks and i was thinking of taking the top bushings off or maybe just the outside top bushing of each endlink and mounting the bar on the outside of the endlink. would this cause damage to the endlink since its a 25mm bar? would the stiffness and rigidity of the swaybar be too much for the endlink without the upper bushings? lemme know :)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
so i have an idea based off what you said bondo. i have kartboy endlinks and i was thinking of taking the top bushings off or maybe just the outside top bushing of each endlink and mounting the bar on the outside of the endlink. would this cause damage to the endlink since its a 25mm bar? would the stiffness and rigidity of the swaybar be too much for the endlink without the upper bushings? lemme know :)
thats exactly how I mounted it. Let me find the pictures i took of it.

I think this is what you meant Mikeyb133

Driver side

Passenger side

but now I have a different setup which I will post later when it's not raining outside so maybe this friday

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
well i was thinking it would fit on the outside of both endlinks. i guess if the plastic stands the test then kartboys can handle it.. so the sti bar was a noticeable difference?
Alot. and I mean ALOT. that thing stiffened up the rear end and I felt a little less body roll and the difference in understeer. it actually balanced out my cornering but the only problem was i didnt like that fact how it sat outside so I rerigged it and now i'm looking to buy some solid rear endlinks to put my plan I explained to you earlier into affect and see how it holds up.
Those plastic links took a good beating. I am a very spirited driver and I goto the canyons from time to time and rough drive it and nothing broke yet. I had it like that for almost a good 6k miles without anything breaking or a problem. only thing I didnt do was grease up the bushings so it clunked :lol:

·
Registered
00-OBS-2.2
581 Posts
so far ive done this in efforts to make clearance..

my hope is to find a centerpiece the same dimensions just half the length and to cut the diagonals off the bushings allowing more clearance. then to mount the bar on the outsides of the endlink...

·
Registered
00-OBS-2.2
581 Posts
this is my set up. i removed one upper bushing on each side.. yes im aware the bushings popped out of the top just makes a clunk noise bouncing around the inside of the endlink. my solutions is simple, all i need is the centerpiece to the bushing to be half the length and ill be golden. although i am concerned about the swaybar bushings. are they too close to the bend of the bar?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
MikeyB 133 adjust it to like my picture and you shoulnd't have any problems with it. that is what I would recommend trying. I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
'99 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
656 Posts
^ Woot!
I wonder if that setup negatively affects the performance at all... I don't know enough about suspension physics, but maybe even having the endlinks on the outside is worse than on the inside.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
^ Woot!
I wonder if that setup negatively affects the performance at all... I don't know enough about suspension physics, but maybe even having the endlinks on the outside is worse than on the inside.
from my experience you don't really utilize the full size of the bar and compromise the reason why you installed it(meaning for a bigger swaybar). Like I heard somewhere that the STi bar fitted the way I did makes it act more like a 18mm swaybar or something like that. I'm not really a major in suspension phyiscs :lol:

·
Registered
00-OBS-2.2
581 Posts
^ Woot!
i dunno either ahaha. i would think having the endlinks inside would be better but ive heard others say its worse. all i know is i hope this works cuz i just butchered some kartboy endlinks. ahahah:lol:

·
Registered
00-OBS-2.2
581 Posts
from my experience you don't really utilize the full size of the bar and compromise the reason why you installed it(meaning for a bigger swaybar). Like I heard somewhere that the STi bar fitted the way I did makes it act more like a 18mm swaybar or something like that. I'm not really a major in suspension phyiscs :lol:
im good then cuz its 25mm so im getting like 20-23!!! still better than 13!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
i dunno either ahaha. i would think having the endlinks inside would be better but ive heard others say its worse. all i know is i hope this works cuz i just butchered some kartboy endlinks. ahahah:lol:
It should work :lol: not at its full potential but will work and is definately an upgrade from the 13mm sway bar . I am looking to buy some endlinks also so I can test my new way but no luck at the moment :/

·
Registered
00-OBS-2.2
581 Posts
soooooooooooooooooooooo much better. understeer was cut down in a huge way. the less body roll is nice too! that was also when i tested it all ghetto rigged and clunking. im almost done cutting the second one.. you think the swaybar bushings being close to the bend will be a problem?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
soooooooooooooooooooooo much better. understeer was cut down in a huge way. the less body roll is nice too! that was also when i tested it all ghetto rigged and clunking. im almost done cutting the second one.. you think the swaybar bushings being close to the bend will be a problem?
I'm not sure. But i haven't seen a problem with mine :lol: just test drive it for like a couple hundred miles then look under and check it

·
Registered
00-OBS-2.2
581 Posts
just finished and drove it hard on a twisty backroad and......... :( ..jk.........:eek:mg: WOW SOO much better... i drove into a empty lot of mud down shifted and dropped the hammer soo much more control. corners feel great. checked under after and everything looks golden, no noises nothing. im very pleased :burnout:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
just finished and drove it hard on a twisty backroad and......... :( ..jk.........:eek:mg: WOW SOO much better... i drove into a empty lot of mud down shifted and dropped the hammer soo much more control. corners feel great. checked under after and everything looks golden, no noises nothing. im very pleased :burnout:
congrats. better feeling then before?

121 - 140 of 201 Posts