Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
99 Impreza Outback Sport
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Dunno, but as you can see, it's only 1 MM bigger.

on another note: cool! I got sticky!

·
numba one.
01, OBS GF8 wagoon Silver on T
121 Posts
any issues with OE brackets and the larger RSB?
i have an 01 OBS (13mm OE) and would like to find a 19mm or 20mm OE bar.

I know i should upgrade the end links to the matching 19/20 OE end links at a minimum, but are the brackets an issue as well?
are the 13mm mounting brackets the same as 19/20mm brackets?

i know there are a few companies that sell reinforced or new stonger brackets but are they needed w/ 19/20 RSB?

also, will the 02-03 WRX sedan RSB fit the 01 OBS?
(i heard the WRX sedans have a wider track width. i.e. flared fenders)

TIA.

·
Registered
MY00 RS silva
496 Posts
i have a 02 WRX 20mm rear bar w/ hardened links and the stock mounting bracket. no problems here (MY00 RS) for a few years..

There are a few companies that make the HD upraded brackets such as whiteline. There are reports of people that have broken the stock ones with larger bars 20+ mm bars which neccesitated the upgrade.

I am going to upgrade soon but to the 04 OEM WRX brackets.. they are cheaper. ~$40 vs. ~$100 and alittle sturdier.

·
numba one.
01, OBS GF8 wagoon Silver on T
121 Posts
cool, thanks.

i'll keep an eye out for a OE 20mm rear bar, 04 mounts and some end links.
prolly best route.

not like i need any more rear spring...i can get the rear to step out whenever i want as it is cus of my spring rates.

·
Registered
99 Impreza Outback Sport
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I got a wrx bar with stock mounting brackets and WRX end links. Works great for me.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
Angry Toaster said:
I'm using the stock RS and Forester (same) endlinks. I don't see why aftermarket RS/Forester endlinks wouldn't work.
score! i was gettin an sti sway and was scared when he said it didnt fit. mine comes with endlinks! are they any diff from stock?

·
Premium Member
faster than yours.
4,605 Posts
AFAIK, you will have to use your stock endlinks with the rear STi sway.
derekthecynic said:
score! i was gettin an sti sway and was scared when he said it didnt fit. mine comes with endlinks! are they any diff from stock?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,282 Posts
I have a set of stock 02 wrx sedan swaybars and they are both 20mm. They fit fine on my 95L once I got the urethane bushings front and back. Kinda funny the front brackets are larger than the rear but the bushings both have 20mm holes for the bars. Can't wait to get my awd stuff put in. :drool:

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
Just to let people know, I just installed the 21mm STi pink RSB on my 99RS and the clamps didn't fit. The STi RSB is designed for a WRX. The WRX has a different style clamp than my 99RS. I had to order a set of WRX brackets and clamps so everything would fit properly.

The RS clamps are wider and they actually 'cup' the entire bushing. The bushings with the kit are to be used with the WRX clamps which are thinner and the bushing wraps around both sides of the clamp. And you can't just buy the clamps either. The RS clamps have one bolt hole and the other side actually slips into the bracket. The WRX bracket has 2 holes. One for a stud and one for a bolt. Therefore the brackets are different and will need replaced.

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
oldhat said:
I have a stock '96 JDM WRX front and rear end. Anyone know if the sizes for the sways are the same as USDM WRX?
Probably the easiest way to determine sway bar sizes would be to take a set of metric wrenches and see which fits over the sway bar and which won't. A 13mm wrench should fit over a 13mm sway bar, but a 12mm shouldn't fit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"05
TS 20F/13R
RS: 20F/13R
WRX sedan: 20F/17R
WRX wagon: 20F/17R
STI: 20F/20R "

Friend of mine just gave me the RSB off of his 05 STI, and it says "22" on it. It is the stock bar. I am going to try to mount it on my 05 RS soon. Hopefully it will fit,... From what I have read, it will fit if bolted to the outside of the endlink (it is 2 inches longer).

·
Registered
99 Impreza Outback Sport
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
solbey11 said:
Probably the easiest way to determine sway bar sizes would be to take a set of metric wrenches and see which fits over the sway bar and which won't. A 13mm wrench should fit over a 13mm sway bar, but a 12mm shouldn't fit.
doggoD can you try this test on your new bar before you put it on?

·
Registered
dirty 2000 impreza pimpicus wa
162 Posts
i wasnt sure but i have a 95L N/A with the 19 front and i am looking at a 22 mm with bushings from an 05 N/A i was reading that most are compatible from 93-04 as long as it was the same engine n/a. is there a big differance in the 05?

·
Often Unamused
2001 Impreza RS 2.5
809 Posts
My neighbor has an '06 WRX, said the RSB is 17, he is going to upgrade to a 20. The 17 from the WRX should fit in my '04 RS, no?

21 - 40 of 201 Posts