Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza RS 2.5/ silvertho
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this yesterday, but the database crashed and my thread went down with the ship. Anyway...

Folks, are there any options out there for stiffer progressive rate springs that keep the car at or very near the stock ride height? I'm running the STi V5 springs right now (with V5 struts) and I like them lots. However, the rallyist in me misses the suspension travel that the car used to have. I'm not able to afford anything custom-wound or super-exotic. Coilovers are out of the question.

What's available out there? I can't find anything in the archives...

Thanks,

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was looking for the exact same thing. I settled for the Eibach pro-kit springs. It lowers the car about an inch.

My other alternative was to put in springs from an outback sport, I know a couple of people who have had success with that setup. It actually raises the car around 1/2 an inch or less.

Chris M.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found a solution...

Actually, I think I've got a great solution for gravel roads and rallycross. That'd be the STi RA V5 coils. They're around $250 which ain't exactly cheap, but they're stiffer than the stock RS springs and around the same height. That's exactly what I need. I'll bet the Outback Sport springs would be great for snow/ice TSD rallies, though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well you said it yourself. The version 5/6 RA springs are the only thing out there. The other thing you can do is run the stock RS springs on the Ver5 struts. It will actually ride a little higher than stock, but still feel stiffer because of the heavier damping. I was running that set up for a while before I found my RA springs. To break it down:

Stock: High and soft
Stock springs on FHI Ver5 struts: Higher, slower. Still kinda soft.
Ver5/6 RA complete: just a little lower, nice and stiff.

As far as I know, there are no other options besides coilovers.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
STi Version 5/6 (the 5 and 6 had the same suspension) springs will lower your car, but not by much, compared to most drops in ride height. Technically it's only like 3/4" or so. I have a complete V5 spring/strut combo in my car, and the front drops very minimally. The rear moreso, to the point where I can barely fit my fingers into the wheel well (using 205/55-16 Dunlop SP9000), but that's still a lot higher than most aftermarket sets. :)

Stock springs on new struts will be good if you don't want to lose your height (I don't blame you!!). The V5s might be a little *too* stiff; I mean they won't be bad, but unless you've got stiffer springs to really complement the need, you'd really be okay with a less aggressive KYB AGX shock, I think. They're less expensive too, I believe.

The Ver.5 springs you can't buy anymore, unless you find them privately. I had to do that, and this was in late summer of 2001.
So they're LONG gone now. Your best bet would be to browse the For Sale forums here and at www.sidc.co.uk and www.scoobynet.co.uk since the STi suspensions are often sold, overseas, for more aggressive coilovers, etc. (Maybe for a good price, too.)

The struts you CAN still get, though. Several vendors have them, but I'll back www.subaruwrxparts.com/per-gc8.html since I bought mine through them (that and I live 10 miles from them :D ). It's Exeter Subaru in Stratham, NH. The struts will run you about $600 for the set; they used to cost about 1/3 that, but the previous price was apparently an error on SoA's part. They caught themselves and jacked the price up. That one I personally lucked out on and got them beforehand. Exeter can also sell you some springs to complement the STi struts if you opt for them, which are similar in height and spring rate to the Ver.5.
I think they're Eibachs.

Always a good idea to do a four-wheel alignment after a suspension change, though. So my vote goes to KYB AGX shocks, an 18mm rear swaybar, better tires if you don't have 'em already, a new alignment, and there ya go!

Oh... You could also look into the STi Group N top mounts for your suspension, but with the stock springs, you really won't need them. I'm considering them for my car, but my springs are quite a bit stiffer!

-S2-

·
Registered
322 Posts
Siper2 said:
The Ver.5 springs you can't buy anymore, unless you find them privately. I had to do that, and this was in late summer of 2001.
So they're LONG gone now.
I've been hearing people say that for the longest time, but it's not really true. I got some Ver5 springs through Lisa (aka Sugar) at www.wrxrsparts.com just this last fall (2002).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... the V5/V6 springs are a 3/4" drop, eh? Well, that *does* sound pretty much like what I'm running right now. I really don't want any drop at all. What's a brotha to do? Drat...

Btw, regarding the Group N/ STi strut bearings, they seriously rock. I hated the bounce up front when I had the stock RS bearings in there. The oscillation was uncontrolled as if my dampers were shot. I switched to the heavy duty units (just up front) and everythings now solid and lovely feeling. I've also got the rear mounts, but they're currently installed in my closet. -no bouncing as far as I can tell, though! :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts