Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2000, White GC8
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a 4 door 2000 GC8. I've been driving this car for nearly a week and I must say I am really impressed by it.

I've been cornering hard with this little 4WD beast and was wondering what parts I could invest in to make the car feel stiffer (especially when cornering). I also own a RSX-S, and benefited by getting front strut, rear strut, and a rear sway bar. I've read around and it seems that a front strut is not very useful because of the location of the towers. Apart from getting coil-overs (which i will invest in next year, after winter) what parts should I be considering?

Thanks for the input guys

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
Don't get springs and struts. Just get coilovers. I ended up spending extra money by buying springs and struts then later on got coilovers instead. Only get springs and struts if you don't want too stiff of a ride.

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
front strut bar, larger front sway bar, solid endlinks for the front and rear, if you have a turbo swap you can get an H-brace, which will be a whole lot better, Lateral links (i suggest OBX adjustables) Trailing arms (again OBX) I said OBX cause it is just like the cusco, but for a fraction of the cost. You can get that whole set up of trailing arms and lat links for 350 or less with bushings. All of that should make a huge world of difference. You can also get baller on a budget setup of KYB GR2 with some SPT springs or find a sweet deal on some coilovers. That would be my suggestion to stiffening it up. There are also little odds and ends such as Poleboys Master Cylinder Brace which doesnt stiffen handling but is great for the brakes so you have a smoother pedal feel and travel during auto x. You can also pick up some Paranoid Fabrication fender bracers for under $100 bucks and that will help as well.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Cage + F&R upper & lower strutbars + Swaybars & swaybar links + Pillowball trailing arms & lateral links + Coilovers + Aluminum control arms up front + RCA kit from Whiteline = stiff!

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
A good sway bar setup or at the very least a thicker rear sway will make the most noticable difference. Also consider solid endlinks.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
lets see more of this foam stuff!! link!

i definitely need SOMETHING. at this point, i dont think even bracing can help me. if i jack up the front of the car, the car just bends in the middle!! it's nuts. so stiffening of the frame with foam would be great...but i'd go with a cage as a last resort (want to drive the car without having to wear a helmet)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60558&highlight=chassis+foam

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108496

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0006scc_project_nissan_300zx_part_5/index.html

Just be aware if you foam the chassis and THEN try to seam weld it, you might set the foam on fire. So it's a one way mod. But you can do the seam welding and then chassis foam, but that might be overkill depending on your goals for the car.

If you foam your chassis, tighten everything on the xmembers to spec first (engine, tranny, rear diff), pull the wheels off and put it up on 8 high quality jackstands (none of those cheapo Kragen jobs). Get the jacking points lined up perfectly. Get the chassis sitting PERFECTLY plumb because once you foam it, it's staying in whatever geometry its sitting in. Like get a level and measure to within a few millimeters. If the chassis is tweaked or cockeyed while you foam, it's staying that way. Forever.

If your chassis is already that warped so it's bending on jacks (do you off road? ;)), I would think pretty seriously about seam welding it, then the foam. Seam welding is Stage 3 Hardcore. Dunno, look into it, you might not have the time or facilities. IIRC, seam welding involves stripping the entire car (everything, the doors, interior, even the weatherstripping). You'll have to remove the sound deadening on the floor of the car and the trunk because the welder will set the tar on fire. It's REALLY hardcore but you will be a certified baller when you're done, and one of the first, if not THE first car on RS25 with this kind of mod. Know what you're getting into, the NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) in your ride will increase dramatically. Personally I kinda like NVH because it gives you feedback from the road and it makes your suspension do it's job instead of the chassis taking the blows. Think long and hard about this if it's your DD. If this is just a plain Jane DD, buy a bunch of braces and call it a day. Research research research.

Poke around miata.net, the Mazda guys seem to have the most experience with this stuff. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, I haven't actually done this. Yet.

Good luck!

Sorry that I'm egging you on to do this, I'm little insane (seriously) and totally hooked on suspension tuning! :crazy:

·
Premium Member
RSTI
6,844 Posts
Actually NVH will go down. Miata people always say the car becomes significantly more comfortable. It allows the suspension to work more efficiently.

cheers

poorman

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
425 Posts
the foam thing is a good idea. i completely forgot about this. its been a while since this idea crossed my mind.

anyone have any idea where to get this stuff locally(so cal)?

i need visual aids to let me know where to inject this stuff too.

this stuff is 2lb per cubic feet right? where would i find some 4lb or possible 8lb per cubic feet urethane foam? since this is a one time mod, i dont want to use 2lb stuff when i could have used 4lb and got better results.

my biggest concern is overfilling and then getting busting a seam or warping something.

·
Registered
2000, White GC8
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
could anyone recommend any brands for sway bars? i might just go with cusco but was wondering if there's anything a bit more affordable with the same performance given?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
191 Posts
i have cusco adjustable rear and full race whiteline front, never had a complaint about them. the car is very stiff, no rattles when u shut the doors. of course i also have a full roll cage...

·
Better than you!
1997 LRSWRX, 1998 Lego GT
6,298 Posts
The only thing about the foam is also to make sure you fill every spot. I have yet to see any of the Miata guys have a problem but if you filled a certain section but left a tiny section open without knowing it, that becomes the weak point of the car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts