Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
That is strange. I can't think of anything other than something being crossed on the plug side or that some strange signal from the speed sensor is leeching it's way to the cluster and thus making both needles move - like a grounding issue. :confused:

EDIT: On 2nd thought, it could be that your car being a 98 might be the year where they switched plugs over and thus a ver.5/6 cluster (with green plugs on the top vs ver.4 with white plugs on the back) is the cause. 99-01 would otherwise be plug n play. There's a write up on how to repin your cluster plugs to make it work properly.

·
Registered
1998, RS, Rally Blue 2.0 EJ20K
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had iwire do my harness merge and wired up the cluster for me. Not sure why i'm getting this issue at this point. Stupid polar vortex is making it tough for troubleshooting as it is so cold to work out side to find out what is going on. You are the second person to think a grounding issue.

No one is 100% sure at this point of what the deal is. It is a rather strange one.

EDIT: gauges acting weird with the originals in place - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7GuozI7YQo#t=32 - this was when the 2wire vss was hooked up and I would expect that it would have read 0 acrossed the board along with the tach being off.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have not had a chance to work on car due to cold and snow .. man this winter sucks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still working on this with no real solution other than repin or grounds. I'm thinking this might be going back to iwire :(

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
I don't know why you didn't consult Iwire right off the bat if he did your harness merge. This is most likely a wiring issue and he would be the one to help you.

There are way to many variables for any of us to easily diagnose this problem. What was merged with what? What VSS are you running now? What color are the plugs originally on your cluster and what color are they now?

I quickly read through this and it seems you have a green plug cluster in a white plug car with a merged harness using a different VSS than factory for the cluster? Is this correct?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to fix it by simply moving the needles to the 0 position after they moved to that starting point. My guess is that my cluster was messed up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts