Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2005, Impreza 2.5rs, silver
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking deeply into swapping my Ej25 for an Ej20 (hoping Im even saying that correctly). Basicly I just want to know if I can bolt up an sti transmission to my 2.5 rs engine. Iv read they bolt up and Iv read that I would need to also swap my rear diff and hubs and axels. Im currantly working at Buffalo wild wings so not making huge bucks but only while Im going to school. No big bills to pay and I want to start swapping for stuff to do in spare time, but again Im not making the big bucks right now. is it even worth it to start now or should I wait untill I go to work at this dealership I have lined up for the summer. So, I guess the real question is how smoothly can I expect it to go if I just want to change the tranny and clutch (clutch needs to be changed its still original 2005 clutch)?

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
it's about 3 grand for the transmission alone.
factor in tools, time, and odds and ends you are probably looking at $3500.

now. the only USDM 6 speed STi transmission you can use without haveing to swap over axles, hubs, or brakes is the 2004 sti transmission.

2005-2008 transmission will not work unless you get the axles, hubs, and brakes. inaddition, you'd have to get a custom set of coilovers to fit the gc chassis but work with the new hubs since the bolt holes for mounting are different.

trying to do this swap while working at wild bills buffalo wings and going to school may prove to be a difficult task. i'd advise you look even deeper into what you'll need, what you want, how much you are willing to spend, and how much time you're willing to invest.

if i were you, i'd wait till i was either making more money, or not distracted by school.

remember, if this car is your only means of transportation, and you need it for work or school, and something happens to make the car inoperable, you are up SHIT CREEK without a paddle.

·
Registered
99 wagon outback sport
134 Posts
wrong^^

you can use any sti usdm sti trans from 04-07 08+ will require a vss pro

04/05 trans use a 3.90 rear end. your axles will go right onto it. and you can use a 3.90 auto diff and auto driveshaft.

06+ use a 3.54 rear diff and thats a 02-05 wrx rear diff and then use a auto driveshaft and 06/07 wrx wagon front axles.

those are the cheap ways to get a 6sp in your car without using all the r180 stuff and hubs and axles from a sti

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
wrong^^

you can use any sti usdm sti trans from 04-07 08+ will require a vss pro

04/05 trans use a 3.90 rear end. your axles will go right onto it. and you can use a 3.90 auto diff and auto driveshaft.

06+ use a 3.54 rear diff and thats a 02-05 wrx rear diff and then use a auto driveshaft and 06/07 wrx wagon front axles.

those are the cheap ways to get a 6sp in your car without using all the r180 stuff and hubs and axles from a sti
WRONG.

you cannot use a 2005 sti trans as they require 5x114.5 hubs and matching axles.

2004 sti axles will not work with a 2005 trans and vice versa.

YOU ARE WRONG.

and you certainly don't REQUIRE a vss pro when you do a trans swap. SO YOU ARE WRONG AGAIN.

·
Registered
99 wagon outback sport
134 Posts
WRONG.

you cannot use a 2005 sti trans as they require 5x114.5 hubs and matching axles.

2004 sti axles will not work with a 2005 trans and vice versa.

YOU ARE WRONG.

and you certainly don't REQUIRE a vss pro when you do a trans swap. SO YOU ARE WRONG AGAIN.
people put sti trannys in wrxs all day without the hubs and axles dude. and yes on a 08+ trans you need a vss pro.

you dont have to put the hubs and axles and rear diff from a sti in your car to put a 6sp in it unless you want the full swap.
im running a 08 sti trans in my 07 forester right now. with my stock hubs and axles with a 3.54 wrx rear diff and auto driveshaft.

and i never said 04 sti axles will fit in 05 sti trans.

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
wow your an idiot. people put sti trannys in wrxs all day without the hubs and axles dude. and yes on a 08+ trans you need a vss pro.

you dont have to put the hubs and axles and rear diff from a sti in your car to put a 6sp in it unless you want the full swap.
im running a 08 sti trans in my 07 forester right now. with my stock hubs and axles with a 3.54 wrx rear diff and auto driveshaft.

and i never said 04 sti axles will fit in 05 sti trans.
ohhhhh here we go.

why are yuo calling me names? what have i done to you to warrant such behavior?

show me where someone put a 2005+sti trans into a pre 2005 wrx without swapping out hubs and axles.

show me.

until then.

you are WRONG.

and for a basic 04 STI OR 2005STI trans swap, which is what the OP is asking about, you don't need a vss pro.

again. WRONG.

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
i'm assuming you meant a 04/05 sti correct?

04 is different from the 05. your axles will NOT go right into a 05 sti trans.

WRONG.

·
Registered
99 wagon outback sport
134 Posts
sorry i just edited it out then saw you quoted it lol.

04 trans have stubs. those wrx axles fit on those stubs. 05+ sti trans dont have stubs. you can get 06+ wrx wagon axles and they go right into the sti trans.
so many people have done im not gonna try and prove it to you. I work at a shop that has done it to many vehicles.
your obviously uneducated and i don't need to prove to if your not willing to learn.

read
Master swap list for 04-07 Sti 6 speed into WRX - NASIOC

im out. go educate yourself

·
Registered
99 wagon outback sport
134 Posts
sorry I dont want to fight about this. I just know what works from personal experience and people like you that are just flat out not willing to learn because of what they read on the internet, and believe it without any real world experience piss me off.
not only that but even if you did have a 04 sti trans and rear diff you still would not be able to use that rear diff unless you swapped to the sti 5x100 hubs in the rear.

my buddy brian has a 07 sti trans in his 04 wrx wagon with stock rear diff and hubs and a auto driveshaft
my buddy danny has a 05 sti trans in his 06 wrx with a 3.90 auto R160 rear diff and auto driveshaft

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
sorry i just edited it out then saw you quoted it lol.

04 trans have stubs. those wrx axles fit on those stubs. 05+ sti trans dont have stubs. you can get 06+ wrx wagon axles and they go right into the sti trans.
so many people have done im not gonna try and prove it to you. I work at a shop that has done it to many vehicles.
your obviously uneducated and i don't need to prove to if your not willing to learn.

read
Master swap list for 04-07 Sti 6 speed into WRX - NASIOC

im out. go educate yourself
your obviously uneducated what?
your not willing to learn what?

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
BECAUSE I WAS QUITE CLEAR IN MY FIRST POST

QUOTED HERE

2005-2008 transmission will not work unless you get the axles, hubs, and brakes. inaddition, you'd have to get a custom set of coilovers to fit the gc chassis but work with the new hubs since the bolt holes for mounting are different.
THAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE GC.

flavordipshit: are we talking about the same thing?

did you not see that i was clearly and still am clearly talking about the GC chassis, which is what 99% of this site is about, and what i thought the OP was referring to when i saw, IMPREZA2.5RS in his profile and when he referred to his engine as a 2.5rs?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.