Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my rack and pinion is bad and I was wondering if one out of an sti would fit our cars

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
618 Posts
04 STi fits IIRC. WRX is also an option. You’ll need a steering rack knuckle that converts between the GC and GD rack.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
911 Posts
My car is a gd so I wouldn’t have to replace the knuckle right?
Yes the 04 STI rack will use your knuckle. A reason to upgrade to an 04-07 STI knuckle is it's a solid piece, versus the knuckle with a plastic spacer sandwiched in it.

Secondly, only the 2004 STI will bolt up to your crossmember. In 2005 they changed the mounting points for the steering racks (so, if you swap to an 05-07 n/a crossmember, you could fit a 2005-2007 sti rack).

Lastly, 90% or more of rebuilt "04 STI" racks are actually not sti. They are merely sti compatible, and are almost guaranteed to be the same speed rack you already have.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the 04 STI rack will use your knuckle. A reason to upgrade to an 04-07 STI knuckle is it's a solid piece, versus the knuckle with a plastic spacer sandwiched in it.

Secondly, only the 2004 STI will bolt up to your crossmember. In 2005 they changed the mounting points for the steering racks (so, if you swap to an 05-07 n/a crossmember, you could fit a 2005-2007 sti rack).

Lastly, 90% or more of rebuilt "04 STI" racks are actually not sti. They are merely sti compatible, and are almost guaranteed to be the same speed rack you already have.
I have noticed like you said a lot are rebuilt so I’m probably gonna try to find one that’s used and in good condition if I can’t I’ll just buy a normal one and throw that in

·
Registered
2002 Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I've found a bunch of actual sti racks but they are all from a right hand drive car do you know if they are any different from left hand drive

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
911 Posts
Absolutely won't bolt up, where the steering rack connects is on the opposite side. People on nasioc tried putting the JDM rack guts into an american rack and that didn't fit either. Sorry bud, USDM only.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely won't bolt up, where the steering rack connects is on the opposite side. People on nasioc tried putting the JDM rack guts into an american rack and that didn't fit either. Sorry bud, USDM only.
Reman unit it is then thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts