Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
rs2.5-sti hybrid
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my ej251 blew... i just got it from some a*& that ran the crud outta it. and i... well, got the tail end of its poor pooor little life. so i am going to yank the whole soul out of my baby i like to call paula.
anyway, instead of going the rout which would only replace what i have, and not gain any power out of the deal. :)
i decided to do a ... very mild sti swap.
now, i dont have much money. so be gentle with your suggestions. lol
i am planning on using my same block, but getting
sti heads
sti forged pistons
eagle h beams
cosworth bearings
and 800cc fuel injectors
i have a turbo right now, it will put out about 17 psi VERY safely (if my block holds up) what is your input? what else do i need besides fine tuning?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Engine Managment...

And possibly a STI intake manifold since you will be using its heads, which leads to needing a harness merge and ECU and the like..

Why not continue to use your heads with the STI guts?

·
Registered
rs2.5-sti hybrid
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh ya! and what if i didnt go the turbo rout? would those pistons be crappy in my car without a turbo? they are 8.2:1

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Yes... You would have a significant loss in power due to the lack of compression...

Do you happen to know what happened to your old motor?

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,403 Posts
fuel pump
downpipe
intercooler
upgraded clutch flywheel

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
depends on the turbo....i'd get a 18G and run a healthy 17-18 psi if i were you.....well thats what i have so yeah.....

get some head work done too while the heads are off(im kicking myself for not doing that) springs and some delta regrings at least...

u will get more power out of the Sti heads, but it comes at a significant $$$.....the rs heads with some work will be fine...

what is your budget?

·
Registered
rs2.5-sti hybrid
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
about 1500 to 2000. right now without the new heads im at 950 ish. so i can get the heads for 450. but then i would need a harness and sti intake.

·
Registered
1995 S14 w/S14 SR
1,323 Posts
Just giving you a heads up - your not going to be able to turbo your RS properly for only 2 grand.

Did you take into account actually paying people to build your motor or to tune your car? Thats over a grand right there...

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Just giving you a heads up - your not going to be able to turbo your RS properly for only 2 grand.

Did you take into account actually paying people to build your motor or to tune your car? Thats over a grand right there...
build the motor and tune it yourself.....no sense paying for something that is easy to do....

but still 2000 wont cut it.....3000$ is more do-able.....

my build ended up costing around 3000-3400$ with standalone.....

you might be able to cut it with 2500$ and a piggy back system...

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
STi heads are no better than WRX heads flow wise. Don't forget you have to plug the AVCS parts as well. STi pistons are garbage and the first thing taken out of an STi when building real power. I suggest you just rebuild the RS motor and enjoy it. You'd be surprised how great that engine is once it has an exhaust and lightweight flywheel. If you can't turbo a car properly (swap), don't bother as it is an expensive learning experience.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
STi heads are no better than WRX heads flow wise. Don't forget you have to plug the AVCS parts as well. STi pistons are garbage and the first thing taken out of an STi when building real power. I suggest you just rebuild the RS motor and enjoy it. You'd be surprised how great that engine is once it has an exhaust and lightweight flywheel. If you can't turbo a car properly (swap), don't bother as it is an expensive learning experience.
wooaah easy buddy.....:p

my car is turbo'd properly and i didn't swap.....

and sti pistons are more than good enough for a 200-300 whp build....

i had me exhaust and lightweight flywheel and intake and borla replicas and some other small stuff and was downright disappointed with the power...

·
Registered
rs2.5-sti hybrid
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i would have to agree man. lol, i already have borla cat back, act clutch, lightweight flywheel, hyperground, new ignition system, biltsien shocks, eibach springs, injen rd, wilwood brakes, and some other stuff. i still just want a turbo effect. i have to agree with jeff on the sti part too. skully is running what, 450hp on 28 psi? he has the same setup i want.
and ya i know, it will cast around three grand. but i already have a link engine management system and a stock sti turbo, with up/down pipe and header of course.
and no im not paying anyone to build it for me. lol, its just the tuning ill have trouble with.

·
Registered
rs2.5-sti hybrid
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok guys. i need input. i have my original sohc heads. and i really dont wanna get new heads and have to get a new intake and wiring and stuff. what should i do?

·
Wiring Guru
01 RS, 97 Ducati
357 Posts
Rebuild your current motor using stock parts and enjoy it. Your budget is too small for attempting a turbo kit or a swap currently. Don't half ass a project like this as you are going to end up spending a whole lot more then what is currently in your budget. If you insist on going a head plan for it taking twice as long as you have and for having a lot more cash.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
I would listen to what scoobyrs25 and Zephyr are saying... These two have been around for a LONG time and know what they are talking about

^^ Its good to see you posting again!!

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Rebuild your current motor using stock parts and enjoy it. Your budget is too small for attempting a turbo kit or a swap currently. Don't half ass a project like this as you are going to end up spending a whole lot more then what is currently in your budget. If you insist on going a head plan for it taking twice as long as you have and for having a lot more cash.
naw man...he's already got a lot of the expensive stuff....

he's got:
standalone
vf39
header/up/dp....all thats left is fuel system, DP-back exhaust and engine build....and a bunch of cheap little stuff

shoot...if he has 3000$ budget he can go forged internals

1 - 19 of 19 Posts