Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STi with a 1999 RS shell
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a full 05 Sti Catback exhaust I'm thinking about swapping on to my 99RS which at the moment has a sraight through very budget custom Fart can system. My question that I've got is, will I loose or gain power due to the increased back pressure? I understand the install has been done alot and was hoping someone might know
Cheers Kincaid

·
Banned
1997, Subaru, Impreza L, 2.2L,
2,363 Posts
Will the sti catback be bolted on with your catalytic converter? If so i think you will lose power. If your running straight through with no cats then you would have the most power gain.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was originaly planning on running the stock RS cat with STi mid/Axle section because I've heard catless or "high flow" joined to STi systems that produce a sound that makes me want throw up a little on my soul! I just want to quiet the car down and try to retain most the power that I've got or get a bit more torque if possible while on the cheap "If such a thing exsists"

·
Registered
2001 impreza rs
82 Posts
i am runnning a sti cat back on my 01 rs. I have noticed a big difference between that and the stock system. I also have headders and one high flow cat. if it is too loud for you. get a reflash. it quieted my car down alot

·
Registered
2002 WRXWAG, Silver
79 Posts
I have STi axelback only on my 00 RS. I only notice sound difference. Which I really like. Not LOUD but now it has a little growl. Butt dyno says no change. So if it is sound and looks only does that make me riced? :loser:

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
not clearcut rice, but you have an exhaust that claims teh POWAR when you don't have it, so it's at least on the border.

·
Registered
2001 impreza rs
82 Posts
the reflash made the exhaust quieter because i am not running as rich. I had fuel comming out the pipe. no more backfires

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok the results are in the fart can is gone and the STi muffler is installed the only problem is a minor power loss and it's too damn quiet I ended up throwing a aftermarket resonator on aswell I guess the next step will be a header to see if that makes it a bit louder "kinda nice to hear the stereo again tho!"

·
Premium Member
2.5RS
8,447 Posts
I am also putting an 05 cat-back on...I did some searching and found some..answers but...

Will the mid-pipe section bolt up? and do the hangers on the muffler need to be moved??

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 05 STi mid-pipe section will not bolt up directly although a good muffler shop can line up the flange when they add the nessisary couple of inches on the mid pipe to meet up to the cat, also when you do this besure to use the RS flange as the STi one is too big and is prone to leaking. As for the hanger all you have to do is cut the first SINGLE hanger off closest to the muffler facing the mid pipe the others are fine re-weld it or fab up a new one all other parts will fit like stock! and are cheap to have installed a bit quiet tho!

·
Registered
2002 WRXWAG, Silver
79 Posts
Auslander said:
not clearcut rice, but you have an exhaust that claims teh POWAR when you don't have it, so it's at least on the border.
Well call me rice then. But I like the sound and I DO have a white car. I guess me= :loser:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts