Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 401 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Okay, got my C-Pillar / inner fender support rebuilt...

Welded in my new trunk extension...

And...(I'm starting to sound like a broken record)...coated with rust bullet.

Next will be more inner fender re-building, cleaning up the rocker, and Then fitting the quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
And yeah Garrett, they're a great match except for the backlight color. If they lit up mint green like the stock cluster they'd be perfect!
Should be able to swap out the bulbs in the back for something with green! LEDs if you're fancy, but a green bulb condom may do the trick

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Should be able to swap out the bulbs in the back for something with green! LEDs if you're fancy, but a green bulb condom may do the trick

So, did a little googling...everything I'm finding is that the bulbs are white and the face is filtered Amber. Have you tried it with yours? I kinda don't want to take it apart...

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
So, did a little googling...everything I'm finding is that the bulbs are white and the face is filtered Amber. Have you tried it with yours? I kinda don't want to take it apart...

I haven't. I'm just trying to get rid of mine haha

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Continued work on my inner fender last night...

This might take some trial and error. It's a complex shape, and trying to replicate the old piece exactly would be tough. So I might rough it in and then try fitting the quarter and massage from there.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Worked on cleaning up this inner rocker part...

Cut this part out to gain access...

Lots of rust under here but not very severe.

I was able to grind away any pitting and rust down to clean metal. Here it is soaking in metal blast.

Painted with rust bullet...

And all welded up...

I also started to test fit the quarter on this side. Needs a lot of work to get the fit just right, but its not far off! Very encouraging at least to see it going together.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
When I did the drivers side quarter I waited until after it was mounted to shave the trim holes. So for the passenger side I decided it might be easier to do before mounting. So that's just what I did...

Slapped on a little filler to be sanded later...

I did a little more grinding and fitting of the QP and got it really close. Still needs a little more work though. It's a slow process...Grind a little at the B-pillar joint then check the fitment, then take it off...Grind a little more at the C pillar joint then check the fitment....then take it off...and so on and so forth.

I should have a good chunk of time this Saturday to work on it, so hopefully the passenger side QP can get permanently affixed!

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Finally finished my fender liner. This was a complicated part so I broke it down into 3 parts.

This is basically the final form

Test fit with the quarter...The fit is good!

Ground smooth and coated with Rust Bullet...

Now I can move onto doing the final fitting on the quarter. So last night I did a bit of test fitting with the trunk and tail-light.

The car is coming together really well! just more slowly than I had hoped. I've got another great part coming next week I can't wait to share!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Found ya on IG, but something about getting to read it all in project thread form that makes me happy! Coming together nicely for ya

You've got me inspired to buy a welder soon and start practicing. I dream of tackling this on mine someday

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Thanks All! I got sick this weekend and couldn't get any work done unfortunately. Should have a little pick-me-up arriving tomorrow though :D

Found ya on IG, but something about getting to read it all in project thread form that makes me happy! Coming together nicely for ya

You've got me inspired to buy a welder soon and start practicing. I dream of tackling this on mine someday
Yeah dude, glad I found you on IG also. MIG welding is pretty easy...watch a few youtube vids and you'll be ready to go pretty quickly. I gotta say, this Eastwood welder I got works pretty damn good and is half the price of the bigger name machines. It might be a Chinese knock off but with a 3 year warranty you can't really go wrong.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I splurged. I think this will add a little spice to my build...

This thing is beautiful and should shave 30+ pounds off the tippy top of the car. I think I might miss the sunroof at times. But its always been my vision that I would enjoy most extreme expression of this car most, and this fits that theme a bit better.

BTW, for anyone who's wondering, Steve at Aerosim does wonderful work and is extremely helpful and friendly. He answered a ton of my questions pre-purchase. A+ for Aerosim Research.

141 - 160 of 401 Posts