Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 381 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Okay, been lacking time and effort on my project lately. I had to give up my loaner welder so I just ordered one of my own. Hopefully I'll have it this week and in time to get some work done this weekend.

In the meantime I've been working on the passenger rear inner fender...

I drilled the spot welds and cut the c-pillar inner support...

Here's why...now I can access under the support to kill rust and cut/weld new material where necessary...

I used my angle grinder and paddle disc to sand/grind all of the exposed rust. Most of it was able to be completely ground away to new metal. Once ground down, I etched with metal blast and coated with rust bullet.

The rest will have to be cut out and replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Okay, finally got my new welder up and running. Gas bottles are waaaay more expensive than I thought they would be. The bottle with gas was as much as the welder! But at least I'm good to go...

Cut out this bullshit...

Welded in this bullshit...

Not pretty but functional!

Ordered my trunk extension for the passenger side. Once that's in I can start rebuilding the inner fender.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Cleaned up my welds and filled all the holes. Then I etched and coated with rust bullet...

I also cleaned up the C pillar support that I cut out, in preparation to weld it back into place.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Thanks dudes! I appreciate the enthusiasm. I think I have more cutting to do on this side unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
In between other holiday plans and project I put a few hours of work in on the RS over the weekend.

Got the passenger side trunk extension drilled out and removed. New one should be here this week...

Then I cut off the rotted sections of the fender liner...

Started rebuilding the fender liner with sheet...I'm also getting better at welding! But still not pretty.

I noticed there was still some rust up behind the C pillar support. I'm seemed like it was near where the strut tower meets the inner fender and thus should be an import area to repair. I decided to cut off more of the C pillar support to provide access...

Rusty....bleh...

Once I started cutting this area I just kept finding more and more rust...

And before I knew it I had cut all of this off.

That's about I'll can access, and it seems to be about 95% of the rust in this area. It's not a perfect fix, but then again this chassis will never be 100% rust free. This is the best I can do. I was able to grind out all the rust that I can get to so I'll etch, apply rust Bullet and weld in a new panel. I ran out of rust bullet though so this was where I stopped for the day.

I also snagged a part on EBay I'm pretty excited about...something I've been searching a while for! It was a nice pick me up after battling all this oxidized iron.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Digging in DEEP! Looking great so far. Rootin' for ya, and dreading doing this on my coupe.. Good to have pro body friends!

Had you messed with any body/rust repairs in the past? Trying to determine if I could stomach tackling mine, with the help of a couple friends that do body work as well.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Digging in DEEP! Looking great so far. Rootin' for ya, and dreading doing this on my coupe.. Good to have pro body friends!

Had you messed with any body/rust repairs in the past? Trying to determine if I could stomach tackling mine, with the help of a couple friends that do body work as well.
I worked in a body shop one summer in high school...that exposed me to the concepts and basics of auto body repair. I also helped my friends build the Fervor Rally Sport car, which helped build some of my fabrication skills and confidence in undertaking such a project. I'm a firm believer that you'll never know how to do something until you try to do it.

For me the big trade off is time. Its definitely going to take me a LOT longer to complete than if I had sent it off to a shop. Also, I've had to buy a bunch of tools and materials I didn't have before - Welder, angle grinder, sanding blocks, fillers/primers/solvents, etc. That all adds up. And I'm going to need a better air compressor too when it comes time to prime and block the whole car, so more $$ there. Still probably cheaper than paying someone. And I'll enjoy the struggle, be better equipped to tackle the next project, and take invaluably more pride in my final product.

For a lot of people I'm sure it just makes more sense to pay a pro to do it. If you've got friends who can lend a hand (and tools), I'd encourage you to try it! Whats there to lose?? :)

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Alright, so a while ago I picked up these discontinued Greddy gauges and I absolutely love them. They match the 98 cluster nearly perfectly...black face, white text, red needle. Also, they seem period correct for a late 90's car and just aren't that common.

However I could only find boost and oil pressure...so for he time being I got an AEM EGT gauge and I never really liked it. It didn't match, the color didn't match, and I never liked it's action.

So, for a couple years now I've been periodically checking eBay for a Greddy V2 52mm black face EGT gauge to come up. Last week, low and behold, I found a NIB one! So I'm super stoked I'll now have a matching set. For me, some of these details are going to be an important piece of executing my overall vision for the car.

Anyways! Stoked...also got my trunk extension and more rust bullet so I can get back to work soon.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Random tip, call performance shops, some have gauges like that in their displays just sitting, I know someone with some defi metric and blitz gauges still sealed :lol:

Hmm, I never thought of that. Are they the carbon faced blitz gauges?? Those are sweet!!

And yeah Garrett, they're a great match except for the backlight color. If they lit up mint green like the stock cluster they'd be perfect!

Did some more work yesterday...

Cleaned up the rust on frame rail behind the trunk extension and coated with rust bullet...

Made patch panels for the areas I cut out before...

Coated behind to-be-patched area with rust bullet...

Tacked my patches in...

Finish welded and then ground smooth and coated with rust bullet...

Hopefully today I can get the trunk extension tacked in and the C-Pillar support rebuilt.

Side note, on Friday we took the Fervor Rally Sport OBS to a car show in Ann Arbor with the rest of the team. It got a lot of funny looks being smashed but also a lot of love. Think we had the only fully prepped race car in attendance.

121 - 140 of 381 Posts