Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 401 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Got the seams and all other exposed parts of the car primed with 2K epoxy. Just need to protect it from rusting while I work on the rest of the shell. Overall I'm very pleased with my work.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Got the car out in the sun the other day. Got it turned around...time to get started on the passenger side quarter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS - RBP
1,603 Posts
Work is looking good! Two coworkers and I are about to undergo a smaller version of this with my 98 as well. I paid to have it repainted back in 2010, there was no rust though. Now the paint is peeling and going to shyst and I currently manage at a body shop so... yeah. One of the guys has a booth at their house with a 4 bay garage. Pretty sweet!

Keep it up and keep us posted. I don't get on here much anymore except to check messages, but I came across this.

We're twins...

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Work is looking good! Two coworkers and I are about to undergo a smaller version of this with my 98 as well. I paid to have it repainted back in 2010, there was no rust though. Now the paint is peeling and going to shyst and I currently manage at a body shop so... yeah. One of the guys has a booth at their house with a 4 bay garage. Pretty sweet!

Keep it up and keep us posted. I don't get on here much anymore except to check messages, but I came across this.

We're twins...
Thanks for the kind words! Good luck on your project too...I'm sure it will be worth the effort. These cars are only going to continue getting more special as they age. :)

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Well, after 9 weeks of waiting, our Crosstrek we ordered came in. Hyper Blue Premium 5MT. This my first new car ever and It was stock for about 2 hours haha!

Got something special in the mail for the RS too! Hopefully back at it soon...

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Well, after a month of waiting for what I thought would be a very rare, and unique part to add to my build...my Burn-Up S6 wing arrived

Aaaaaaand it doesn't fit.

Fuuuuck. Pretty sure it's an S6 rep for a GD. Maybe a Burn-Up, maybe not. Who knows. Either way, it's a set back and a huge disappointment.

Damnit.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)
Okay, just to document...

A GC trunk is ~45 7/8ths inches wide...

The bottom mounting surface of the wing is ~48" wide...

The outermost mounting holes are ~46.5" wide...so with the wing centered the outermost mounting holes would be over the quarter panel by roughly .3" to each side.

Clearly this thing isn't intended for a GC trunk if 4 of 6 mounting holes aren't even ON the trunk when it's centered. Also, I'm nearly certain it's the GD version of the Burn-Up '00 WRC wing. According to their website, the GC and GD wings are the same top half with a different bottom section...

Check it Out on Burn-Up's Website...

And looking at the photo it's almost certainly exactly this wing...

Bottom line...the wing isn't intended for and doesn't fit a GC trunk. The vendor claims it was removed from a GC in Japan andThis seems to be his justification for why it should fit. We all know you can make anything fit, including OEM GD STI wings...but that doesn't make it a GC wing. Am I right?

I'm really frustrated and I'm hoping he'll work with me on a return or something. I'm not spending all this time and money on my project just to rig an ill fitting wing. Is it reasonable to ask for a return? What should I do if he refuses?

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Got the passenger side quarter off today. The rust is definitely worse on this side, especially up near the top of the wheel house. Gonna have to do more cutting and welding on this side for sure. Guhhhh...

Progress is progress! Glad I was finally able to get a day to work on it.

As far as the wing debacle goes...the vendor agreed to a refund which is good! I might do that or trade for a version 6 wing. Or maybe something different all together

101 - 120 of 401 Posts