Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
561 - 580 of 595 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,175 Posts
So much win!

Sucks about the RCM stuff, but I had also figured that would be the case. I'd say it would save me from buying them, but like you said... new stuff isn't available.

TIME TO DRIVE BABY! I need to see this in person.. I'll be on the west side of the state this weekend... lolol

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
So much win!

Sucks about the RCM stuff, but I had also figured that would be the case. I'd say it would save me from buying them, but like you said... new stuff isn't available.

TIME TO DRIVE BABY! I need to see this in person.. I'll be on the west side of the state this weekend... lolol
Would you happen to be going to the Midnight event at Grattan? I plan to stop by on Sunday to see a friend who's attending. Plan is to bring the coupe....

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
Well, I went for my first drive last night. I finished up some little things...rolled the front fenders, fixed a backing plate that was rubbing the rotor. Put some cotter pins in the ball joints and tie-rods. Torqued the axle nuts...torqued the lugs. It was drizzling, and I wasn't excited about that, since I'm not 100% I have all the holes in the chassis plugged up. But...I needed to drive it.

What a feeling. Its so good. SO fucking good. No issues, needs an alignment and tuning. The noises are fucking amazing.

Anyway...Hoping to keep finishing up some details this week...trims, side skirts, etc. Also, stating for the record that I have accepted that the trunk is a different color :LOL: It's weird, because I painted it at the same time as the rear bumper and wing...both look closer to the color on the quarters...and I used the same base and sealer as everything else. Anyways, it doesn't matter. An imperfection I will own.

Also, good on the Japanese designers and engineers in the 90's for creating a cup holder that accommodates a 32oz Crowler. Had a little celebration with myself in the garage last night.

For real though, thanks everyone who follows and comments on this thread. This is an outlet for me, and writing this stuff out and getting the thoughts out in writing is therapeutic for me. It's also something I really cherish...this forum has been around for a big part of my life. I know we all don't like the current state of it, but I'm glad I've got this outlet.

Cheers everyone.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,175 Posts
Major congrats! A huge milestone after a huge project.

I understand the sentiments completely about the build thread.

Keep going, this is JUST the (new) start!

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Not much exciting has happened in the last week. One thing is my rear upper window trim flew off :LOL: Mounting the trims with the carbon roof has been....a challenge. I also had issues with the roof moldings coming up at the A-Pillars and also because of the carbon roof, they had nowhere to mount on the rain gutter itself. So, I bought a whole new set of clips and a tube of urethane window adhesive. I applied glue to the new A-pillar clips and pushed them into place. I then clipped the roof channel clips into the trim first, applied a dab of urethane to the bottom of each, then put the trim into place and taped it down. After checking it this morning, they seem to be MUCH more securely installed.

I also purchased and received an ECU Master Dual H-bridge module. After looking into numerous options to control my power windows, this was the most elegant. Unfortunately the H-Bridge outputs on the Haltech aren't quite up to task. And, I would be one short, since I need one to run my wipers. Expensive? Yes...Could I have wired power to some switches? Yes. But...CAN enabled solid state control is better. Fight me.

So anyway, I needed a place to mount the PD16, the H-bridge module (which is much larger than expected) and my CAN hub (for convenience). I had debated mounting the PD16 behind the Nexus so they're together. And it would look cool. But ultimately, up and out of the way seemed better. I originally thought behind the dash, like in the center stack. But that seemed hard to access. So, I ended up thinking about behind the passenger airbag cover. Mocking it up, this seemed like a good solution...

So, I made an aluminum plate, bolted it to some brackets that were already mounted on the dash bar....played Tetris with the 3 boxes for a while until I came up with this placement. It's a little tight...But this will work. And, the airbag cover is super easy to pop on and off if I ever need to access these. Now...to wire this up.

I was also able to get the car out over the weekend and enjoy it a little. I stopped by Grattan Raceway to visit with a friend who was running an event there. The thing has gotten SO much attention on the road already. I've already gotten a 22B comment :LOL: The car just feels so god damn special...Like I'm actually driving a little WRC car around or something. I love it.

Finally, just been working on tuning the thing. So far so good. The Haltech is a breeze to work with. VE tuning is coming along very nicely. I've started working on boost control. I actually have very little experience calibrating solenoid actuated boost control. It's either been MBC's on my personal stuff or ETC style electronic wastegates on the OEM stuff I've worked on haha. So, this isn't hard but I'm taking my time with it. So far, calibrated up to 1 bar of boost seems OK. Lambda's tracking pretty well, boost finds it's target and holds decently well. Obviously need to work on transient fueling and get my gear determination right. This was a little 2-3 pull and it already feels super good.

Annnnyways. That's that! I've got a meet this Sunday that should be fun. Just need to get these windows working!

Reactions: Ghidrah

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
Couple updates....

I mounted my 8 button keypad. This was where I was originally going to mount the window switches. It's quite easy to reach fully belted in, so that's perfect. I think I can get the wiper buttons down to 1 single button that is pushed 3 times to cycle intermittent, low, high. So we'll see. I think I will move turn signals to this keypad until I get some steering wheel buttons setup. Anyway, I cut a piece of carbon and epoxied it into place...then drilled it out and mounted the keypad. I have yet to wire up the PD16 or H-bridge, so windows are still on hold. Hopefully this weekend.

I also painted and mounted the side skirts as well as mounting the rear spats.

Made it out to a Grand Rapids Subarus meet on Sunday as well. Felt great to get the car out and show it some friends who had yet to see it.

Some teething issues....The drivers rear tire has been rubbing. Unfortunately, I will be replacing this tire. Some of the cuts are deep enough I can see chords.

This was the side of the car that was originally wrecked. While I have replaced all the sheet metal and done my best to make both sides even, I suspect it isn't perfectly symmetrical. I've done a couple things to try to correct the rubbing. First I ground down some of the lip near the bumper mounting point. I also tried rolling the fender a bit more but there wasn't any progress to be made there without fucking up the quarter panel. I also realized the drivers rear was a little lower than the passenger side, so I raised it almost a quarter inch. This alone could have made the difference honestly.

I have had an issue getting more camber on either side of the rear...basically this is a symptom of my wheel and tire package I believe. I'm maxed camber on the strut...I backed it off a bit from this to give some wiggle room, but you get the idea...

I was also maxed out on the camber plates. Because the bolts can be shifted into a different set of holes, the constraint has been the slot that the upper bearing rides in. I opened this up to allow maximum adjustment.

With the camber maxed on the strut and maxed on the modified camber plates, I'm now at right about 2 degrees negative camber. This should be enough...I hope.

Also, been working on tuning more and more. I've got boost control calibrated just about up to 1.5 bar. Boost is still tapering off a good amount on the top end...not sure how much of that is normal for this turbo. There is some room yet on the boost controller duty, so I'll see what can be done. Car is starting to feel rowdy though...my goal is 300/300 on gasoline...virtual dyno says I'm close. Still some room on ignition and lambda...so we'll see!

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
Very brief update:

Got the PD16 and the H-bridge wired up. Initially at least. I will wire more to the PD16 in the future, but for now just powering wipers. In any case, I'm happy with this. Pretty tidy for the space available.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,175 Posts
Sounds about right for the VF37 (which IIRC it is) on boost. The thrust bearing turbos love to taper pretty hard, and I am also slightly struggling to keep my VF42 at higher boost at higher RPM (1.5 bar max target as well), not sure how hard it's dropping pressure but may be all she wants to give??

I don't know, this is DEF your expertise more so than mine haha

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
Sounds about right for the VF37 (which IIRC it is) on boost. The thrust bearing turbos love to taper pretty hard, and I am also slightly struggling to keep my VF42 at higher boost at higher RPM (1.5 bar max target as well), not sure how hard it's dropping pressure but may be all she wants to give??

I don't know, this is DEF your expertise more so than mine haha
Yeah, I guess I was just surprised how much wastegate solenoid duty was required to keep it lit up high, especially at lower boost levels. Every system is different obviously.

I've actually taken some of the old data you've posted and pulled out some useful stuff. So thanks for that!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,175 Posts
Yeah, I guess I was just surprised how much wastegate solenoid duty was required to keep it lit up high, especially at lower boost levels. Every system is different obviously.

I've actually taken some of the old data you've posted and pulled out some useful stuff. So thanks for that!
I was also surprised how much WGDC it's taken to do stuff as well. I am still capping out at my max, but there's really NOT much more left to give to get to where I want it to be. Odd.

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 ·
It's been a few weeks since my last update. Quite a bit has happened, Including:
  • Power windows wired, configured PDM and H-bridge - So, solid state power windows are DONE.
  • Replaced shredded drivers rear tire
  • Installed rear sway-bar
  • Fixed broken front endlink
  • Alignment
  • Installed fire extinguisher/mount
  • Adjusted exhaust height and installed shroud
  • Made a windshield banner / sun shade

Yesterday I also got the car on track for the first time. My goal was to shake the car down, learn how to use some of the lap timing functions on my dash, and just generally work any bugs out. I'm really impressed with how well it went to be honest. I had to make a couple adjustments to the tune to compensate for excessive exhaust gas temps. This was mostly driven by very high intake air temps causing a lot of spark retard to be applied. I mixed some ethanol in and took out some of the correction and it was happier. Also, my lap timer didn't work every time so I didn't get consistent lap times recorded. But, overall, the car felt fantastic. Loads of grip, easy to control, good power and the brakes felt very strong and easy to modulate at the limit. Honestly, just so pleased.

One bummer...on our second session of the day, I was running behind my good friend in his 450whp forester when the engine let go. Pretty big fireball and lots of smoke. Luckily the car didn't burn down and everyone is fine. Fortunately/unfortunately I got it all on camera. Full video from the second session below!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,175 Posts
This makes me so happy to see! Let's get to Grattan at some point soon.

MIGHT be there the 16/17th of July with the Mazda.. depends how back together it is (just more mods).

Will definitely be getting to the Subiefest thing at Gingerman in the GC in October though!

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 ·
This makes me so happy to see! Let's get to Grattan at some point soon.

MIGHT be there the 16/17th of July with the Mazda.. depends how back together it is (just more mods).

Will definitely be getting to the Subiefest thing at Gingerman in the GC in October though!
Thanks man! I think I have a friend going out to Grattan on the 16th/17th. I probably wont run, but I might stop by. Next event for me is July 30/31. I'm gonna try to get out to that event in October as well.

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
Some not so significant updates...the car got covered in oil from my buddies forester blowing up in front of me. I hadn't really put a very good sealer on the car yet, so I spent a day stripping it down, re-buffing and sealing the whole car. I used Jescars correcting compound and their Power Lock sealer...really impressed with the sealer. Went on SO easy and gives a super nice gloss. The car looked phenomenal. It will never be cleaner!

I also had a rear CV boot leaking. So I popped it all apart and replaced both boots with new OEM parts.

Finally, I've done more tuning on E85. I'm up to about E70 at the moment and it feels very strong. Targeting about 22lbs of boost, roughly 20 degrees timing at peak torque tapering up to 28 at rev limit. I think there's still more room on both ignition and boost...and more tuning to do to try to hold boost longer. But these seem to be good comparable numbers to others I've found online with similar setups.

Got another 2 day track event next weekend (29th and 30th) at Gingerman Raceway. Really looking forward to that! Maybe a couple other changes before then, if I find time.

561 - 580 of 595 Posts