Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
461 - 480 of 503 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
I think you need a cae shifter to better match your hand brake haha. Great build.
Hopefully, eventually, something a little spicier than a CAE shifter will live there...

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 ·
an x shift would pull a premium for race wars
Bingo. Some day, I will have a sequential. Once the car is actually running and driving I'll start looking into that more seriously :LOL:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
928 Posts
Sequentials are so effin expensive... I very briefly looked into it, saw 20k+ price tags and noped out quick. Then I found a shifter kit that uses an h-pattern trans and somehow converts it to sequential. Ah found it.

Seems a little sus, but I may still try to order one some day.

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
It's definitely a "gotta pay to play" aspiration.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,161 Posts
Geeez, what an update. Been out of the loop for too long and got to catch up on some top notch work! I'm a bit of system overload on it, so freaking well done it leaves me a loss for words

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
Geeez, what an update. Been out of the loop for too long and got to catch up on some top notch work! I'm a bit of system overload on it, so freaking well done it leaves me a loss for words
Dude, thanks so much. I really appreciate the kind words.

I haven't done much with the car in about a month. I needed a break and to save some money. I'll probably be ordering an engine in the next week or so, along with parts to finish up the brakes and fuel system. In the meantime, here's some stuff I did in February but never posted.

Made a carbon cluster delete. I took apart a junk cluster, traced the faceplate surround thing onto a sheet of 2mm carbon and cut it out. Glued it in, and voila.

I also ordered some DPDT switches to re-locate my window switches to the dashboard. I settled on the little switch panel area next to the steering column. I cut a custom piece of carbon to mount the switches. I'll then glue this to the dash.

I also trimmed the glovebox to fit around the roll cage. Also, per 181stLeader's advice, I stripped the 5lb weight out of the glovebox door. Everything all together...Looking pretty good if I must say so. I'm def happy with this...

And finally, some photos of my Plex dash lit up. I've got it all connected with the Haltech stuff and configured a couple pages the way I like. I can now control page switching and logging via CAN message from the Haltech Keypad. Super slick, although I'm still considering a steering wheel mounted CAN keypad, if I can find the right parts. Anyways...that's it for now.

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
Well, it's been a good week so far. Yesterday I got an unexpected promotion at work and pretty decent raise. Today, I received whats probably the last major purchase for the project arrived...I picked up a really clean Version 9 EJ207. Sooo stoked! Really good packaging too...it arrived mostly unscathed. Bent intercooler bracket and a couple fins broken on the alternator. Probably I'm going to put it on a stand and give it a once over. I also need to re-build the engine harness, adding some sensors and swapping over to DBW. Also need a downpipe and some other random bits yet. Should be fun!!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,139 Posts
Also, I have a stock downpipe that I refuse to sell to scrappers that fits USDM length exhausts. I'm sure you don't want an OEM downpipe, but if you need something to get you up and running, you're welcome to borrow it!

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
Also, I have a stock downpipe that I refuse to sell to scrappers that fits USDM length exhausts. I'm sure you don't want an OEM downpipe, but if you need something to get you up and running, you're welcome to borrow it!
Thanks man, I really appreciate that. I’m gonna try to find an aftermarket one. I was thinking of buying one from RCM. I don’t care about the length because I’m most likely going to make a custom catback. You had an RCM dp right? Any issues? It’s decently priced...hopefully shipping isn’t crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,139 Posts
Yeah the RCM one I had was nice, just didn't have the right length and I didn't have the time to get stuff done with it then. Would recommend/10

·
Registered
Wrapped 2000 RS Sedan
22 Posts
Well, just spent an hour reading through this, I must say this is one of the most impressive builds I've seen. Awesome car can't wait until it's in action!!

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Okay, not much to update but figured I'd update a couple small items.

Picked up brake pads and stainless lines a while back. Turns out I bought the wrong lines (GC) when I should have purchased GD lines. In any case, I went with Gloc pads, with the R12 compound for the front and R10 compound for the rear.

The front corvette calipers use 8 slide pins and normally hold 6 padlettes. A common option is to use one piece pads, which is what I opted for. They should have slightly more surface area and be more stable. Pins were installed...I antisiezed them but most people say you don't ever need to remove these if you're using one piece pads. Just plop the caliper off and exchange pads. There is a small amount of pad overhang at the top of the pad. We'll see how that goes.

Rears, It was advised to sand the powder-coat off of the mounting tabs. of the calipers. Not 100% sure if this is necessary, but it made sense to me, so I did. Then, mounted up the pads with new caliper hardware and put it together with the new rotors.

Next up, I set out to get my DBW throttle mounted to my DBC 207 intake manifold. I purchased a conversion adapter plate from KStech on ebay. I have a throttle body from a 2007 impreza 2.5i. These throttles require the holes to be drilled out for larger mounting hardware. Two holes lined up, so I drilled those first, then bolted the adapter to the throttle and used it as a guide to drill the other two holes (they are slightly off center from the original holes).

Some thoughts...
1.) It interferes with the bypass valve hose. Not an issue for me, I'll be running a VTA BOV on the intercooler and a Group N turbo inlet.
2.) It looks like the connector will interfere with the compressor outlet / intercooler hose

I mounted the intercooler to see, and yeah....it's very tight without the connector on. With the connector, I think it will surely interfere.

So, I need to either have someone mill this adapter plate down to maybe half it's thickness to give some clearance. Or perhaps see if I can rotate the throttle body 180 degrees. Maybe the JDM intake manifold places the throttle further back? I believe this adapter plate is intended for USDM applications. In any case, this was not a straightforward conversion.

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
Mail call update: Received IAG competition series oil pan / baffle / pickup, ACT Streetlight flywheel, and IAG polyurethane engine mounts. Updated the modlist on page 1 as well.

461 - 480 of 503 Posts