Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

401 - 409 of 409 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Not a lot of progress in the last two weeks. I’ve been waiting on parts and materials, Some of which are still backordered. So in the meantime...

Prepped the trunk for primer. It had a bunch of low spots, including where I filled the key hole. Filled, blocked and then epoxy primer the whole thing.

Picked up a set of Bakemono 22B vents. Super nicely made, all the fasteners like the OEM parts. They’re not perfectly straight though, so I’ll be sanding and filling them to get the nice and flat.

Now Fenders...now, I probably knew better than to use aftermarket fenders for this project. I’ve used them before on the rally car and they are in some cases actually very decently made. Maybe I have a little cheapskate in me. I ordered a pair from carparts.com and they came riddled with dents and bends. I decided they weren’t worth the time to fix, and carparts.com agreed to refund me and didn’t even want them returned. Guess I’ve got some rally car spares

Anyway, I have a friend who works at the dealer, so I got a good price on a pair of OEM fenders. And of course they’re packaged properly and perfectly straight so they’ll just need a scuff and primer.

So anyways, waiting on materials now. Hopefully more progress soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #402 (Edited)
Been toiling away at bodywork. I got the new OEM fenders primed and blocked sanded down with 600 wet. I blocked the doors and hood but cut through in a number of places. So they got primed again with 2 more coats of 2k urethane primer and then blocked down again with 400 then 600 wet. So those are all ready for paint.

Next, I set about finishing the engine bay. It got two coats of epoxy primer then 2 coats of 2k urethane.

So, with that in primer, I sanded the door jambs, sanded back the 2k in the engine bay, and prepped the back side of the doors and hood for paint.

Today was the first day doing color! I’m using a water based paint system by a company called Autoair. I’ve used their paints for years on other projects and decided to take the plunge with it on the coupe. The color I chose is a candy pearl blue that’s somewhere between WRB and RBP. First up was two coats of blue sealer.

Next was the candy pearl base coat. The mixture is 2 parts Autoair Candy2O Caribe blue, 1 part Autoair pearl blue, 20% intercoat clear, and 10% reducer.

2 normal coats followed by 1 drop coat...

Next, 2 coats of Southern Polyurethane Universal high solids clear.

Lessons learned: it came out about 80% how I was hoping. There’s quite a bit of dust that showed up in the clear in the engine bay, which is frustrating cuz I feel like I cleaned and tacked everything really well. Next time I’ll be wetting the floor down. I didn’t think it was necessary for these relative small areas. Most of it looks phenomenal though!

Finished the day by loosely mounting up my fenders. Next step will be to mount the doors, sand down the edges of the door jambs where they meet the body, block out the quarters, then paint the exterior!

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
795 Posts
Damn looking so good!!! Can’t wait to see this thing finished

I never had luck with aftermarket fenders either. I just get some junkyard oem fenders and repaint

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
I just realized you did not re-enforce the bent sections of the frame rails, how come?
Waaaay back when I bought the car it was wrecked and I had the frame straightened. I thought about plating the frame rails just to cover it up to look better. But decided to keep it, it’s part of the cars history. I’m not sure of any benefit of boxing it now anyway. Meh. It’s gonna be a track car. As long as it’s straight imma send it.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #408 (Edited)
A couple of big updates, some good news and some bad news.

The good:
I made the decision to go 5x114 and get a full STi driveline. When I was looking at my future goals for the car, it made sense to make the investment now before I buy suspension, wheels/tires, and etc. So, a while back I did just that and purchased a 2007 STi trans/diff/suspension/Brembos etc. and it's been sitting in the corner of the garage collecting dust.

I purchased Feal coilovers. I went with Feal for a few reasons. They seem to have a good reputation and customer service, I like that they assemble their own dampers and can not only rebuild them if needed but also offer custom valving. And they offer upgrade service, so if in the future I want to go to two way adjustable, I can do that. For now, Single adjustable will offer more than enough adjust-ability as I learn the car and get my feet wet with track driving. So anyway, a set of 441+ are on their way!

Finally, I painted the car.

Which brings me to the Bad... :LOL:

Painting a car is hard, and I knew trying to do it myself was a risk because I could easily screw it up. In the garage the car looked awesome, the processes went really well, and the clear-coat laid out really really nicely. The conditions were perfect, I had very little dust because I did a much better job cleaning and preparing the floor. However, the next day when I rolled the car into the sun, I realized I did not have good coverage with the basecoat and most of the car has a sort of blotchy look in direct light. In any other light, it can't be seen. It's pretty clear here on the door...

So! What this means is basically the worst case. I need to sand the clear and re-paint the car. I talked with the paint manufacturer and have a plan for some changes so this doesn't happen next time. If I were smart, I would have waited to clear the car until I could roll it into the sun to check coverage since the light in my garage isn't adequate. Either way, I'm getting right back on the horse and already bought more material. I need to wait for the clear to fully clear before I can re-do it, so I have a couple of weeks at least.

In the mean-time, I'm going to continue to work on mechanical stuff, getting the suspension and driveline in and keep ordering parts. Perseverance!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,140 Posts
Damn sorry to hear mang! You have pushed through some hard knocks with this, but you are definitely learning a lot. Also teaching us a lot along the way as well! Can't wait to see it come together then the fresh paint take 2 laid down. Going to look great ripping around the track next year (maybe?)!

401 - 409 of 409 Posts