Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

381 - 400 of 408 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #382 (Edited)
Okay...I’ve been getting a bit of work done during quarantine. First up...I decided to do wheel tubs in the front for a couple of reasons. 1, if I’m going to repaint the engine bay, I'd rather do this work now in case I wanted to in the future. 2, I like the way it looks. Whether or not I’ll ever run a wheel/tire setup big enough to necessitate them? Dunno. But not I’ve got tubs.

I bought a 9” wide trailer fender for $40 shipped and cut it in half.

Then I roughed up the width and cut the sides off each. Mocked them up, cut and shaped them until I was happy, then traced and cut the hole.

Then I got out the 18 gauge steel and made the sides. I bead rolled a little relief in them for a bit of stiffness and pizazz.

Welded them in, ground the welds down, filled the seams with body filler on the inside of the bay. I also used a 2k seam sealer on the outside after painting with rust bullet.

So basically done with tubs. Then move on to painting the front wheel wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
After wrapping the fab work up on the tubs, I cleaned up the rest of the inner fender area to be painted with undercoat. I used SEM rubberized undercoating.

So basically I’m rolling into prepping for paint. I need to finish prepping the engine bay (giant pain in the ass that I’ll likely put off). I started prepping some of my body panels. First was to finally drill my trunk for the wing. I laid paper out on the wing and made a template of the bolt pattern.

Laid it out, centered it up and drilled some holes...

Voila.

Also got my smooth bumper out and started sanding it down and filling some small blemishes. Bought rear spats and prepped them and the wing as well.

That’s it for now. More parts are in bound as well as paint gear.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Thanks everyone!

Picked up my new bumper yesterday and today I got my new squirt guns.

Straight from Japan. I now have dedicated guns for base, clear and primer.

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
360 Posts
I'm no paint guru, but I'm guessing three guns for: primer, color, clear?

EDIT: I'm an idiot and missed your note above the picture..

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,543 Posts
That's awesome progress. Is there any concern of rubbing the behind the strut tower with a wheel appropriate for the tub?

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
That's awesome progress. Is there any concern of rubbing the behind the strut tower with a wheel appropriate for the tub?
I've seen them done where they we're hammered out and I've also seen them left alone with tubs. I decided not to mess with them because I want to use the stock holes for brake lines and fuel lines.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Started prepping the engine bay for paint. Unfortunately I have some more welding to do and I’m fresh out of gas. My local place that fills my bottle is 80% shut down so no telling when I’ll be able to get it filled. My plan originally was to paint the engine bay at the same time as the door jams. Now I’ll probably paint the engine bay last. More work masking the rest of the car off, but I want to keep moving on what I can with paint.

Speaking of - I spent some time over the weekend prepping the hood and doors.

There was some body work required and some bare metal after blocking it out. So I had to put some epoxy primer on any of the bare spots.

Then, last night I shot them (and the wing) with 2 coats of urethane primer.

So now all that will need to be blocked out one last time before paint.

I also ordered my paint and clear coat! So that’s exciting. I’ll probably start with doing the underside of the doors, hood and trunk as well as the door jams.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Come do mine next. I got sunshine and a big beach :D
Its soooo much work. I'm not sure I'll ever paint a car again. Good thing I bought all this equipment.

And hey, we have Beaches! The sunshine just only lasts a few months.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Some busy work while I wait on more material to arrive. Figured I better get the rear fenders rolled before I paint the car. At least get it 90% of the way before I have wheels/tires/suspension to minimize the chance of cracking paint. One issue is I don’t have any suspension and only one rear hub on hand. I found a way to make due using blocks of wood and flipping the knuckle upside down for the opposite side.

For the opposite side I flipped the knuckle over...blocked it with wood...

A little before and after...

Also got a couple of these work stands from Summit. Summit has been on point during the pandemic. I’m getting stuff overnight on every order I make. I know they’re just one state away but it’s still remarkable.

Also! Got my shine juice. Heard nothing but great things about this clear coat so that’s what we’re going with.

More prep work and more waiting next.

381 - 400 of 408 Posts