Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
21 - 40 of 721 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
UPDATE: My buddies and I spent about 5 hours tonight tackling the first part of the wiring process. We have so far stripped the JDM Engine/Bulk harness and have everything separated and organized almost ready to go into the car.

I Still have a couple questions that need to be sorted out regarding wiring, but it shouldnt too much of a problem.

Much thanx to everyone on here who has helped me source diagrams and given me advice. ESPECIALLY Rob...Wow...Thanx a million man. You will be getting an email from me shortly.

PICTURES to Follow! Im going to bed!

-Steven

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Okay, as promised...some pictorz of the recent work ive been doing.

stripping the harness...

One route done!

Finished...!

Why you shouldnt fall asleep when merging a harness with your friends...

Next step...Cross-member swap...

New part

Me at work

Cleaning parts

Re-installing the rack

So far thats all ive accomplished. Not sure on the crossmember but theres about a quarter inch gap from the A arm bushing to the steel part of the member. Also, the sway bar mounts are different than my RS mounts. The new one uses a bolt and a stud where as my RS mounts use a tab and one bolt.

I still have some things to get sorted out, but no work on the car for 2 weeks since im going to snow drift rally next weekend.

-Steven

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Little update...

Got my new exhaust...I may write up a review when I install it. So far though it looks GREAT! $225 shipped, Ebay 3" Turbo Back from ETD Motors.

Downpipe

Midpipe

Also Got the ECU Powered up and fuel pump running. Emptied the tank and got my alarm fixed and operational.

-Steven

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Awesome project man. On a scale from 1-10, how hard is the swap?
So far, I think its been very easy. 3 or 4. I have quite a bit of experience doing this kind of work though, so my perspective may not be the same as others.

Honestly it just takes a lot of studying. Ive spent a couple months now flipping through diagrams, searching threads for things to watch for, and ive been in contact with a couple individuals who have helped immensely. I would encourage anyone to try it, its a great experience!

-Steven

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Have you ever done a swap before this?
I helped with an S4 13b to S5 13b in my friends rx7, and have replaced engines, done alot of wiring work before. So technically...no, ive never done a swap for myself before. Ive just done this type of work before.

So far thats all ive accomplished. Not sure on the crossmember but theres about a quarter inch gap from the A arm bushing to the steel part of the member. Also, the sway bar mounts are different than my RS mounts. The new one uses a bolt and a stud where as my RS mounts use a tab and one bolt.

I still have some things to get sorted out, but no work on the car for 2 weeks since im going to snow drift rally next weekend.

-Steven
It's because your cross member is from 2002+ turbo subaru. control arm in this pivot point is bigger. Using couple washers solves the problem. I did that on my swap.... and keep up the good work :) scoob is looking good man! :)

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Pretty HUGE Update!!!

It runs!!! Just got the clutch and flywheel today, installed fuel pump, converted accessories onto the new motor, installed new motor...Primed turbo...Started.

The amazing thing is that it started on its first crank. Video to follow...

Installing fuel pump...

New Exhaust...

Torquing flywheel/clutch...

Dropping it in...

*VIDEO*
Priming the Turbo...

First Start!!! First Crank!

On the Agenda for tomorrow...Install interior, Radiator, fill coolant...Wrap up wiring and tuck/loom remaining wires...yah...Not much.

Im going to bed!

-Steven

looks like you'll be needin some Kartboy XL exhaust hangers to keep your bumper from meltin. LOOKS AWESOME THOUGH! Can't wait till I do this to mine! :D

Wonderful build!! I wish I was mechanically inclined as you..Very nice! Wondering...why did you change out your RS wheels for wrx? (i didn't read the whole thread, just looked at pix lol) or is it just your winter wheels?

Wonderful build!! I wish I was mechanically inclined as you..Very nice! Wondering...why did you change out your RS wheels for wrx? (i didn't read the whole thread, just looked at pix lol) or is it just your winter wheels?
more likely than not their his winter wheels. Their green.

obnoxious color usually = winter wheels lol

Discussion starter · #35 ·
more likely than not their his winter wheels. Their green.

obnoxious color usually = winter wheels lol
Spot on. Haha...Yah, they have my winterforces mounted and get weird looks from adults and make kids smile.

Thanx for all the encouragement guys! I seriously could not have done this swap without the support and help from members of this community.

-Steven

Discussion starter · #36 ·
It has been quite some time since Ive updated this...
Ill have more this evening after I get home from class but Im going to post pics from this summers autocross adventures and some more details on the car.

One thing I will say is I had it over a scale this weekend and it came in at 2750...Woot!

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Okay, delayed but....Autocross pics from this past summer...

I found myself very outclassed in SM with my basically stock EJ20G. I was still somewhat competitive however, and would typically finish middle of the pack.

I just changed up my winter setup so Ill to post of some pics of that soon.

Also, Sno Drift Rally in 2 weeks...My RS will be making the pilgrimage.

-Steven

wicked subie

Great thread, a classic tale of a boy and his subie... What a life your little RS has had eh, and she's a beast now! Good work on the ride and the thread! Hope your enjoying having your car back in the snow. Love the monkey using the spoiler as a holy shit handle.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Alright, So I realized I never posted some of the finished pics from my swap. These are almost a year old now, but for consistency with my journal Ill post them now.

Dash Apart

Cluster wiring

Wiring splices at the ECU

Where the wiring was run through the drivers side fender grommet

Engine harness run through fender

I had to move the alarm speaker because the intake got in the way of where it was before. I bolted it to the passenger side strut tower

Detail of how I ran the coolant lines from the header tank to the overflow. I ended up ditching this setup after the header tank broke. I now just run a hose from the crossover pipe to the turbo (Ala Supermoose style).

And finally a "finished" engine bay shot. It has changed slightly since then.

-Steven

21 - 40 of 721 Posts