Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

361 - 380 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
294 Posts
Good looking garage! What kind of compressor are you planning to go with? We're getting ready to build a garage at our house, looking into compressors..amongst other necessary tools to fill it with.

Also, I run a water jet for work, so if you ever need any parts and they aren't too terribly large I might be able to help out. Looks like you found a hook up with a laser though!

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Thanks Y'all!

Garage is 22' x 32', so that's the long 32' wall you're looking at. One of the short walls was already drywall'd. I wanted it to match plus long term goals is to be fully finished. Nice flat, bright white walls really help with lighting too. For my first time doing drywall it wasn't so bad!

Choosing a compressor is hard...I did a lot of research and I'm 95% settled on a BelAir 216V air compressor. It's assembled in the US in the same factory as Quincy machines. 2 stage cast iron pump, 5hp motor...rated at 15cfm @90PSI. Most HVLP guns need somewhere in the neighborhood of 12CFM @40 PSI so it should be more than enough. Quincy seems to be the more favored brand, however their comparable model requires a $200 "warranty kit" in order to get a 3 year warranty. So it ends up being like $600 more.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Well, I’ve got a few things to update...

Got my air compressor plumbed and installed.

I finished my seat mounts and welded them in.

Got my hydro handbrake. I got the un-anodized version so I can have the handle anodized blue.

This week I broke my left foot, so that should slow the progress down. Nothing crazy, just tripped and folded my foot over. Blamo. 4-6 weeks in an air cast...

Despite that setback, I was able to make a box/mount for my handbrake. I used 16 gauge sheet steel, cut and bent, welded the seams and dimpled. I’m stoked on how it came out.

Drilled it out and welded in nuts. Then painted the back with etch primer and tacked it into place.

Annnnd the finished product.

So I have a little welding to finish up. I need to rivet the trunk panel in place and seam seal everything. Then I can sand and paint the interior! We’ll see how much I can get done with this stupid foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Wellll I finally got around to finishing the interior up, seam sealing, and painting.

I used SEM dual mix seam sealer with was awesome...it’s a two part material that sets in about ten minutes. Very tough stuff. I also bought aluminum discs to glue in over the old plug holes in the floor.

After what felt like days of cleaning and sanding and cleaning and sanding, the interior was finally ready for paint. So yesterday I masked everything off and shot it with two coats of Rust Bullet automotive (silver) and then two coats of their White Shell top coat.

I actually really liked the silver. Maybe I should have kept it silver...

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
oooooo it's looking pretty on the inside. Keeping it white, or doing it blue WRC style after?
White is the final color. Painting an interior and cage is hard enough with a single stage color like this white. I can't imagine trying to spray base / clear...big respect for those that do it well.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
First post since the takeover.

I glued my roof on. I ended up using SEM panel bonding adhesive. All of the SEM products I’ve used have been top notch. Sanded the rails and roof channels with 60 grit. Thoroughly degreased. Glued and clamped.

Fully cured and took removed the clamps

I also recently got all the rear suspension members prepped. Removed bushings, cleaned, painted and installed whiteline urethane bushings.

Also started to undercoat the wheel wells and underside of the back of the car...

Up next...I’ve got a new rear subframe on the way. Then I can start bolting things back together....

361 - 380 of 381 Posts