Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

341 - 360 of 381 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
How are your welds on the front a pillars being so far up?

Solid. I made sure to leave just enough room to get the torch to push the bead around the back side. Hard to photograph but just for you, Bue

Since I’m posting...gutted the passenger airbag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 25rs
102 Posts
So i just read through this build since im trying to be more active again and i totally forgot you bought my jdm smooth bumper ha. This car has came soooo far. Im loving the process.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
So i just read through this build since im trying to be more active again and i totally forgot you bought my jdm smooth bumper ha. This car has came soooo far. Im loving the process.

Hey! Yeah man, still have it. Hopefully some day it gets installed.

Today I cut out the spare tire well and made an aluminum plate to take its place.

Scored a bunch of free aluminum sheet...a little thicker than I wanted but stiff enough I don’t think I’ll have to bead roll it.

Cut to fit...

Needs some cleaning up but yeah. More interior cleaning and prep while I prepare for paint....

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,260 Posts
When I went aluminum floor I remember thinking I didn't save hardly any weight.

Just bent my main hoop for my car and also screwed up the first time haha. My reference points where to start the bends - I started on the wrong side of the collar thingy on the bender lol. You were right about screwing up your first one and I swore I wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
When I went aluminum floor I remember thinking I didn't save hardly any weight.

Just bent my main hoop for my car and also screwed up the first time haha. My reference points where to start the bends - I started on the wrong side of the collar thingy on the bender lol. You were right about screwing up your first one and I swore I wouldn't.

Yassss! Way to go dude. Glad you’re getting a start. Messing up tube is a right of passage I guess! Haha...you’ll get the hang of it. And figure out how to utilize that messed up tube. I was able to reuse almost all of my mistakes for shorter Pieces.

And yeah, the aluminum floor is more for access to rear diff and cleaning things up. Probably close to parity on weight.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Okay, had some big delays recently. Two things in the works: custom seat mounts and gearing up for paint.

Seat mounts...a while back I saw FDF fab made some sweet weld in mounts that would look really clean and offer a bunch of adjustment. I reached out to him to buy them and I just couldn’t get him to complete the sale. I’m sure he’s a busy guy and my purchase was small potatoes so whatever. I decided to design my own. Then it was a matter of finding someone to make them. My first try was a friend of a friend who CNC plasma cut them. They were pretty bad...so bad the bolts wouldn’t even fit through the slots.

Next up was another friend who had a friend with a water jet. That guy agreed to do them and then 2 weeks later backed out. So finally my buddy hooked me up with a laser cutting shop. They did a fantastic job.

The other day I got them mocked up on the tubes. Really happy with the fitment. I’m going to take them off and chamfer the welded interface a bit before final fitment. Some photos...

The next big project has been getting geared up for paint since my next step is to paint the interior. I decided to go for it and finally get a decent compressor setup. However, This is an upgrade I’d like to only do once. Which meant I’d like to put up nice permanent plumbing, electrical, and to finish the wall of the garage where this will all go. So for the last few weekends I’ve been insulating, drywalling, and painting the back wall of my garage.

Also picked up a filter and dryer and some RapidAir Maxline to plumb it all.

So next is to put up the machine and order my compressor. Then paint!

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
Very glad you chose drywall for the garage. I see too many people who like to fabricate slam chipboard on the walls.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
Because it's stronger so it can hold things on the wall better, right?!?!?

-_-

Yes +1 for doing it right.
My main issue with chipboard is fire danger. It's a lot harder to set a piece of drywall on fire with a torch or other implement of destruction.

341 - 360 of 381 Posts