Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181 - 200 of 380 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Things have finally settled down enough after the move that I got some free time this weekend to work on the car.

Got the dash bar out and started removing HVAC stuff

Got my harness out. It was a bit tedious as I had wires for my gauges, the Vipec expansion harness, and my merged harness all intertwined.

The harness will get completely rebuilt, stripped of unnecessary stuff, re-routed and use bulkhead connectors. I also want either integrate some of the new sensors for the Vipec so it's all on one harness.

Finally, I started working on getting sound deadening up so I can fix the floors and prep the interior for cage and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Thanks guys!

Just a little work tonight...

Pulled the front harness and airbag sensors.

Radiator is out, front end looking a little more bare.

Got most of the sound deadening off the passenger floor and the bulkhead blanket thing gone.

And one just cuz.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
that garage is awesome

Thanks! I love having the extra space. We're loving the new home. It's the best possible compromise of space and location. We've got an awesome neighborhood. I've got a brewery on our block!

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
My next step is a heat gun for the rest of the sound stuff, then some industrial goof off and a couple rags. Will be so clean, your kitchen table will look bad.

I was just thinking about picking up a heat gun tomorrow to get the stubborn parts off. So far just a gasket scraper and mallet has done the trick.

I've read the goof off aerosol is super good. Gonna get some of that too!

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Kinda wasted the weekend and didn't get anything done. I did find a guy parting a sedan about an hour away, so I finally got a trunk. $100...rust free. It's dipped, so I'll have to peel it. Anyways...one more part checked off the list.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Tried cleaning up the drivers floor with goof off and it did an okay job. I had to do more scraping and use a few applications. I also pulled the round plugs out to get all the sealer off.

Once I had it relatively clean I began to examine the rust. It's worst along the edge near the door. They should use this as a sales pitch for weather tech floor mats. Anyways, this plate needed to come off, so I busted out my drill...

This was wedged underneath of it :lol:

And here's what's underneath. More rust.

So, I think I'll cut out up to the "Frame rail" bump, where I marked here. I'll leave a half inch margin maybe so I can flange it and lay the new panel in.

I need to get the seat mount out and the fuel lines out so I can continue. Thinking I'm gonna need a bead roller too.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
The weather snapped cold again and it was just unbearable in the garage today. 25 degrees...my hands and feet got way too cold. I had to keep taking breaks. I concentrated on getting the roof off today because I'm giving it to a local who needs one.

I tried working on the floors after but my spot weld drills were all burned out. Couldn't get the seat mounts off so I called it a day. Sigh...not the progress I hoped for the day.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
Spot welds are the devil. It took me two days to get rid of the seat mounts, so I wouldn't feel bad at all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I loaned my friend my engine hoist probably 4 or 5 years ago when we were building the Fervor Rally OBS and I FINALLY today got it back haha. We put it to use straight away and pulled the engine out of my coupe.

While my two buddies were tackling more of the tedious work, scraping floors and sound deadening, I went at removing the seat mounts on the drivers side. What a miserable job. The rust had obscured where the spot welds were so I had to kinda guess and ended up tearing the floor in a couple of spots.

With them both out I marked up where to cut. I'm going with 3 panels. It's probably the easiest way to do it, considering the geometry of the supports underneath the floor pan. All marked up here...

First section cut...

Made a template, made a panel and tried out my bead roller for the first time. I think this will be pretty stiff once welded in. Pretty happy with the result!

And just like that another day burned. Rolled it outside and cleaned up aaaaand that's a wrap.

181 - 200 of 380 Posts