Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
Plus one on the brace. I cant quantify its difference alone since I did all sorts of things when I put the brace in. (04 sti master cylinder and booster, front stoptech st40 bbk, new rotors and pads front and rear)

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
304 Posts
Same here. I did STi MC/brake booster and Grimmspeed brace at the same time on my Forester. Not sure exactly what did what, but all of it as a whole definitely stiffened up the pedal feel.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Thanks for the feedback dudes. I was thinking of making an MC brace...I might have to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Maintenance - Electrical gremlins and Axle

Documenting some maintenance and fixing a couple electrical bugs...

Left front outer CV joint was bad...torn boot / noisy. I swapped it out with a Subaru Re-manufactured axle.

On Saturday night my brake lights stopped working. Thank's to Cory's post I quickly found the issue. Water dripping in above the tail-light socket was shorting stuff out and blowing the fuse...

I sealed it up with some goop, cleaned everything off, and sprayed it all down with WD40 to help keep any moisture at bay.

While I was at it, I decided to tear into the hatch wiring where it passes through the grommet. I suspected I had some broken wires, since half the stuff in the hatch didn't work. This is what I found...

I cut all the wires back so I could slide the grommet up to make room...

Then started re-soldering each wire...

Done...All heat shrinked...

Taped it up....

Voila.

Otherwise no other updates. Just driving and putting miles on. Life is good.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Documenting Maintenance.

Oil change...145,803

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
you should buy my center tach sti cluster. yours looks so boring. i’ll even throw in the repinned cluster harness too. ;) ;)
Ehhh, I hate white faced gauges. Eventually I want to make a black-faced center tach cluster for my Coupe...Might need to work with Garrett on that one...

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
For a long time I’ve had a weird rattle in the drivetrain on decel. I suspected pilot bearing, more specifically, the aluminum flywheel where the pilot bearing fits into. It was a little free fitting when I assembled it. I should have known better but I ignored it.

So anyway, this weekend I replaced the fidanza flywheel with an ACT streetlight. New pilot bearing and new OEM throw out bearing.

The new.

The old. The pilot bearing just fell out upon disassembly.

While I had the engine out I also replaced the AC hose that goes under the TMIC. Mine had been contacting the intercooler and wore a hole in it.

To avoid this happening again I made a small aluminum bracket to move the hose down and forward. I also bent the ic brackets up slightly. Plenty of clearance now...

Of course when I put everything back together I had an issue with my clutch hydraulics. I ended up getting an entire replacement setup from a friend.

And that’s that. Love hate relationship with this thing.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,740 Posts
For a long time I’ve had a weird rattle in the drivetrain on decel. I suspected pilot bearing, more specifically, the aluminum flywheel where the pilot bearing fits into. It was a little free fitting when I assembled it. I should have known better but I ignored it.

So anyway, this weekend I replaced the fidanza flywheel with an ACT streetlight. New pilot bearing and new OEM throw out bearing.
Did you use the specified lock-tite for the pilot bearing when assembling it. They are built to loose specs due to dissimilar metals expanding at different rates.

There's a discussion about it in my journal starting at post #99

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3348342-post99.html

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Did you use the specified lock-tite for the pilot bearing when assembling it. They are built to loose specs due to dissimilar metals expanding at different rates.

There's a discussion about it in my journal starting at post #99

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3348342-post99.html

Nope! Completely unaware. I ran that flywheel for years on my coupe. Didn’t think anything of it. Either way it’s all worn out now! But good to know.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Maintenance. Oil change and air filter cleaned.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
The blown-out Blitz was too loud and getting on my nerves. Decided to finally repair my custom axle-back.

The hangers had ripped two holes in the top. I welded in two patches and rearranged the hangers.

Added a tip for good measure.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Had a chance to weigh the car the other day so I thought I’d post it up. Honestly it’s a little heavier than I expected. My coupe with a similar setup was ~2,750. The wagon came in at just over 2,900lbs with half a tank of gas. Also got the car up on a hoist for a look-see. All in ship shape and remaining pretty rust free after one and a half Michigan winters.

Also, a good friend got me this model of a VII wagon in red that’s soooo rad. It came in an STi box and everything. Allegedly originally available from dealers in japan.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
572 Posts
I'm surprised the cross weight was so similar, guess I always figured that would have a non-zero delta.

-TC

141 - 160 of 160 Posts