Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
brackets for the jdm STi top are already applied to that new hatch. they are the same, you just need to take that middle one off.
Yeah! That’s the plan, to use these brackets for the JDM top wing. Since most of the top wings I see on EBay don’t come with them.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Merry Whatever! A few small updates...

Flaps.

Block Heater.

Some new decals...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Clean as always buddy!

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Thanks Ari!

It was nice to get it into the garage for a couple days and let all the snow melt off of it. We’ve been getting a tremendous amount of snow the last couple weeks and I park outside. It still needs a bath but with it not getting above freezing for the foreseeable forcast....Womp.

·
Registered
99' WRB GC8 WRX - TooLazy
1,375 Posts
Thanks Ari!

It was nice to get it into the garage for a couple days and let all the snow melt off of it. We’ve been getting a tremendous amount of snow the last couple weeks and I park outside. It still needs a bath but with it not getting above freezing for the foreseeable forcast....Womp.

Awesome! Hope you don't get salt on your roads... I try to rinse all the snow and ice off mine when there is alot gathered on it.

We've gotten a little bit of snow here too. Went to a cabin with some friends, maybe like 40km away from the town were I work at and that place was flooded with snow!

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Stew's '98 L wagon - V4 STi Swapped + Standalone ECU Daily

Probably should have gotten these before the snow flew, but better late than never. I had read somewhere that GD Impreza Weathertech floor mats will kinda fit GC/GF/GM Imprezas. I ordered a pair of fronts and sure enough, they fit pretty decent.

The seat slider lever on the passenger side interferes a bit. Might need to massage the mat in that area. Otherwise all good!

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Kinda wanted these too but I'm too cheap lol

Ugh you should! I’ve been through the aftermath of what happens after years of salty wet feet can do.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Wow, they fit way better than I imagined.

Do you think there is any worry bout the gas petal getting stuck under it?

I feel the same! Better than I expected.

Not worried about the pedals...seems to be no interference.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I got 20K'd

Well, it happened...after roughly 6 months of use, my 20K spun a bearing.

On the 4th, I was going grocery shopping with the wife. On our way to the store I noticed what I thought was an odd vibration around and above 4K RPM. No noise at idle, nothing looked out of place...So we did our shopping and go to head home. Again, car starts fine, no weird noise at idle, no noise under load...just a rattle at 4K. It stalled once at a light - re-started, kept going. Stalled at another light then wouldn't crank like the battery was dead. Sat in a parking lot for 30 min or so while a friend came to give a jump. Then, it started to present the noise at idle. Flat towed the car home and drained the oil - it was all glittery so I had my verdict.

Up to this point, the car had given no indications of any issue - clean oil, no burning of oil, no odd noises, no indications of spark knock...I had a fairly aggressive calibration in terms of boost (1.4 bar peak) but the spark surface was not super aggressive at all. And when it let go, I hadn't really done any hard driving all day. I guess, sometimes these things just happen with 20 year old used engines. Womp.

To make matters worse, that weekend someone stole my phone while I was in the greater Detroit area for a wedding. So, I lost all or most of my photos of the re-build. Here's what I ended up with...

I had a good '96 EJ20G out of my coupe sitting in the garage. I decided to pull the intake and exhaust off of my engine and swap everything over to the G's block/heads. I also had to swap over the coolant crossover pipe and some misc. stuff. In the process, I also installed new PS lines due to leaks and a new clutch. The stock V4 STI clutch was pretty roasted.

I just today got the car back on the road. The car runs and drives well, however I'm a bit nervous about this new setup - This block showed a LOT of thrust play. I think the ACT clutch I had on it before may have worn the thrust bearing pretty heavily. So - I need to start planning for the next iteration. I'm pondering using my 20K heads with a 257 block or perhaps the stock 22E block with STI rods and forged pistons.

Sometimes I feel like I'm outgrowing all this car stuff. I love the wagon and it's cheap, but the project car daily driver life is wearing on me.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,099 Posts
Sucks to hear. Sort of how mine went out as well, but with a known hotttttt oil temp.

I hear you on the project daily driver thing... whether it's actual work needing to be done, or just fear that something isn't gonna work right while driving. That's why I had to buy my Mini haha.

I thought I was outgrowing car stuff until I was able to have a car I didn't ever need to work on. I love working on cars still, but it's way more fun when you're excited about it and not rushing to piece something together to get back on the road.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Got the car all re-tuned on the new setup. Currently only at 1 bar of boost. Trying to go a little easy on this block, especially considering the thrust bearing issue.

Speaking of issues, I now have a very prominent vibration/rattle/grinding kinda noise while engine braking/ decelerating. There is now a lightweight flywheel on the car, which I understand can unmask some added NVH. However I’m a little concerned. I do have a bad CV joint...hoping it’s that?

Otherwise, today I got a can of paint matched 559 brilliant red. Painted up the baby wing. It will be a placeholder until I feel like spending on a JDM STi top wing.

Came out decent! Hopefully install tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Mounted the baby wing. It looks good...I still want the big wing though.

101 - 120 of 161 Posts